The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Greetings! New owner from India
Hi everyone,

This item just came up on ebay saying it's a front seat mounting bracket. Have a look at the photo. Is it required for my car?

In other news, Chris has now restored and included a correct PA speedo for my car! Have a look.

On Saturday, I took all the required engine parts that came in from the UK to the machine shop for their work. I laid them all out and took a photo.

Early in the morning today, India time, I won an auction on eBay UK for a 22 FZB carb, which at least visually seems to be in decent condition. This piece will hopefully go on to my car if all goes well.

.jpg   fzb6.jpg (Size: 68.48 KB / Downloads: 454)
.jpg   fzb4.jpg (Size: 79.69 KB / Downloads: 451)    
.jpg   fzb3.jpg (Size: 78.92 KB / Downloads: 452)    

Regards,

Prithvi
Hello Prithvi. It does look to be a good one - but these are fragile things. Dave Mann has rebuilt several badly damaged ones and is the leading expert on the type  - he uses an example on his daily-use RN. You might like to contact him for a chat. His email address is in the usual publications and can be looked up - but I'll send you a PM with it anyway.
Thanks Tony!

Got your pm, will give a called to Dave.

Regards,

Prithvi
That carburetor appears to be in good condition most of the ones I get require some serious repair like this        
Where can I get a fender mounted spare petrol can like the one in the photo? 

Originals are very hard to find but our expert metal folder, shaper, basher Duncan Grimmond offers these splendid units - and might be able to build you a "rectangular" version: https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...#pid100583
(16-04-2024, 10:36 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Originals are very hard to find but our expert metal folder, shaper, basher Duncan Grimmond offers these splendid units - and might be able to build you a "rectangular" version: https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...#pid100583

Thank you Tony!

On another note, I was walking around the body tub a few days back and noticed a lift the dot type fastener stud on the nearside in an odd location, right under the windscreen post. I went over to the other side and there were remnants of a broken stud. I tried figuring out what it was for but then I forgot about it.

Yesterday, the mystery stud popped back into my head.

Being a novice to A7's, I read through as many threads as I can on this forum on a daily basis and started searching for an answer for the odd location of this stud. It made no sense to have it there, then again, I am reasonably sure that it was at that place originally and wasn't a later fitment because these things are not readily available in India.

And then, after a bit of searching, I found the answer I was looking for!

I found at least 2 ref pics of A7's that had the stud in a similar place, and showed the purpose. The stud's for retaining strap for the side screen! I have noted in photos of other A7 tourers that this stud is usually on the door itself, so why the different locations on A7's I have no idea. 

It seems so obvious now, but to someone like me who has never seen a nice A7 closely, it was another part of the larger puzzle.

2 pics of the stud on my car and 1 ref pic follows.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   stud3.jpg (Size: 92.89 KB / Downloads: 85)
One often finds lift-the-dot studs all over the place - put there by an owner to fasten down a tonneau cover. There is also a rather clever fastening on the hood frame which, when resting on the rubber block at each side of the rear of the body, needs strapping down. To do this, a leather strap was riveted to the frame and the end fitted with a lift-the-dot that engaged on a stud that was also used to bolt the rubber block in place. Even with this strap in place. the hood frame often needs a second nearer the front.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   Original strap.JPG (Size: 212.1 KB / Downloads: 60)
.jpg   Original Bracket with rubber 1.JPG (Size: 317.76 KB / Downloads: 59)
.jpg   Rubber with Lift-the-Dot.JPG (Size: 361.07 KB / Downloads: 59)