The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big end lubrication
I have a failed big end on my Austin 7 after only maybe a couple of hundred miles. I think I made a mistake on original assembly by interposing rods 1 and 2 and although new they may have been machined differently if the journals were slightly different sizes.
The crank only needs a polish but we have decided to replace all four big ends white metalling. The company doing it seem to be very experienced as they were doing the same job on the crankshaft/big ends of a Rolls Royce Silver ghost and also completing the build of an Arrow but I don't know how many A7s they have white metalled. 
They thought the oil groove which Austin machined across the full width of the bearing would be better made 'blind' to retain more oil around the bearing. Of course that would be different to the original Austin design that has existed forever but possibly Austin did it that way for ease of machining. It would be interesting to be a guinea pig in having blind grooves but could be expensive if it did not work! I would appreciate opinions on this from those who have some expertise and hope it makes for a lively discussion. I attach a picture of a rather dusty old big end from my store so the groove can be seen.

The old oil needs to escape - allowing fresh, cooler, oil in.
Agreed. The groove is important and so is the drilling on splash fed engines. Also allow 12 to 15 thou end float of the big end on its crank pin.
Alan Fairless