The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Box saloon windscreen seal
As well as resolving issues with my sliding roof at the moment, I am also improving the operation of the opening screen. As part of this, I am going to replace the screen seal and noticed that the Workshop now do a moulded version to suit. I had not come across this before and, in the past, have always used the conventional rubber seal. For instance, A7Components BW904

https://www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#windscreen

Has any one tried one, I'd be interested to know how it performs. 

https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...box-saloon

If you would rather, a PM response would be quite welcome..

cheers

Hugh
I have bought and fitted one of Jamie’s windscreen seals.

In my experience, it was easy to fit (though you must get it absolutely spot on, you can’t just stuff it in) it fitted perfectly and doesn’t leak even in driving rain.

It gets my vote!

That's helpful, Ivor (suspect that with you comments about sliding roofs, we have been dealing with the same issues!) I also had a private contact suggesting they work very well. Time to order one up, methinks..
Good afternoon,

We have just fitted an SU carb to my Chummy. Followed an excellent article which we found on the net(I
Think it was a DorsetClub member). We attempted to start the car. It fired first time and ran for 20 seconds perfectly. Then nothing. The car will not start. We have checked compression (which although not great the car ran quite well on its Zenith carb - 60 psi) We have checked ignition, We have richened the mixture and weakened it but no sign of life. There is petrol getting to the carb following cranking. There is a good vacuum in the choke when cranking. The carb was renovated by Burlens and looks like new. Anybody got any ideas.
Martin - May I suggest you start a new thread regarding your problems as thread drift here (a discussion about windscreen seals) isn;t helpful and you are more likely to get your request to people who dont want to read about windscreens..

If you are not sure how, click on this link https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...php?fid=14 and look for the black box top right that says 'Posty Thread' that will allow you to start a new thread on your topic..

hth...

Hugh
Hey Hugh - these moulded seals from Jamie are perfect.
I have fitted one onto my box and it does not leak.
To a man of your ability you will have no problem fitting.
Smile
Do you have to completely remove the windshield to install?
Not the whole thing (though I must confess mine is all out at the moment as a result of the work I am having to do) If you have an undisturbed screen of many years standing, I would be nervous of trying to remove and subsequently refit the screws that hold it in place in the body peak above the screen. What you might be able to get away with is opening the screen where you will then see 2 small screws in the screen side rail up near the hinge (both sides) these fix the lower portion of the screen to its top rail. If you can get these undone, then the whole lower rail plus the glass should gently come away from the top rail. You can then get to the ends of the existing seal and feed the new one in. I have to assume that this would be the designed method as it would permit the replacement of a damaged glass with minimum disturbance.

I think great care is needed whatever the approach.
Thanks for the reply. I will check out your ideas. . I have a new seal from Jamie to replace the cracked one.