The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abergwesyn pass
I'm just curious, has anyone ever driven their Seven over the Abergwesyn pass? I'm just back from a visit there (one of many over the years) but it's too far away for me ever to have taken the Seven.

For those who don't know it, it runs from Tregaron to Beulah in Ceredigion. It is single track, has gradients of 1 in 4, hairpin bends and beautiful scenery. Oh, and one of the loneliest looking telephone boxes you've ever seen.
My father writes:

“Many times.
One of my very happy places.
A favourite BA7C Heart of Wales run.
I have a picture somewhere coming down from The Devils Staicase in deep snow.”

.jpeg   0ABF254C-D1AC-43E3-9A1F-3545F0A7C28D.jpeg (Size: 19.95 KB / Downloads: 490)
.jpeg   12152B78-D8E0-402E-B533-75B49EF174EE.jpeg (Size: 31.64 KB / Downloads: 488)
I know it well. I used to live in the area. And yes, I have been up and down it in my first Seven many times. I always carried a gallon can of water as the car would boil when ascending.
Hi All

Yes it’s on my bucket list.  The VSCc Light car mob came down it a couple of years ago.  The surroundings have changed as nearly all the conifers have been felled.

We used to swim in the Gwesyn valley pools in summer!

Cheers

Howard
Re other passes- I believe the VSCC Light car mob will be commemorating 100 years since the 1924 Light Car Trials by climbing the  Bwlch y Groes pass next year.
Ominously the A7 failed...(perhaps G Poppe and his passenger were big blokes)
Has any one climbed it in a standard pre 1930 Chummy with 3 speed box?
Yes, our '23 Chummy went up in the Light car 2004 celebration o the 1924 Small Car Trial.  No fan but plenty of water capacity and useful at the top on a cold day

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

My RL climbed it in that event too- in those days it was pretty well standard, less so these days.
Alan Fairless
(04-09-2023, 05:30 PM)williamsderbys Wrote: Re other passes- I believe the VSCC Light car mob will be commemorating 100 years since the 1924 Light Car Trials by climbing the  Bwlch y Groes pass next year.
Ominously the A7 failed...(perhaps G Poppe and his passenger were big blokes)
Has any one climbed it in a standard pre 1930 Chummy with 3 speed box?

The pass is not very far from me, and I have climbed it (both ways) on many occasions with my 4 speed RP, often two and a half up (Young Leon, the Motoring Dog and me!) Coming from the Llanuwchyn end, if you turn left at the top, you can drive across the moors, and down the Eunant valley to Lake Vrnwy
Lovely stories and photos. Thank you for sharing them.