The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Brake Shoe Bonded Lining Thickness - 1/8" or 3/16"?
Last year I had four steel brake shoes relined by Saftek in Cleckheaton.  (No connection, usual disclaimers.)  

Previously, they have used 1/8"thick (3mm) bonded linings, but this time the linings were 3/16" (4.5mm) thick, and also of the woven type.  

When I tried to fit these linings the other day, the extra thickness stopped the drum going back on - even at full adjustment.  As the previous 1/8" linings were a tight fit, it is perhaps not surprising that these were too thick? 

The question is - have others had this difficulty, or do 3/16" linings usually fit without a problem? 

(Saftek have offered to reline the shoes back to 1/8" (FOC) so I have posted them back to Yorkshire this week.)
Hi,
When i have  linings Bonded always send the drums they are going to fit as well so they can machine them if used. this way they will machine linings the correct radius to match the drums
less problems
also they will bed in faster with 100% contact

Cheers All

Coln
NZ
When I had new linings bonded on to the brake shoes of my Ruby, I couldn't fit the drums over the shoes. The company that bonded the linings asked me to bring back the shoes and drums. Within minutes they machined the linings to suit the drums.
Would you not want the shoes mounted on the back plates for this to be successsful? Dont you need to know the overall diameter of the shoes when they are fitted?

Am I having a dense moment? (not unknown..)
Hi

I raised this quite some time ago in this thread

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...ght=Saftek

Cheers

Howard
Hi - thanks - useful to read the previous thread on the subject - my memory isn't what it was.

Seems linings of thickness 3/16" should fit - but they don't on this occasion and I wasn't sure how to proceed 'wearing down' the woven linings. Previously, with the 1/8" black linings I have used a combination of files and emery paper to reduce the thickness slightly and profile the liners to help bed them in. This took a little while, but once done, meant good braking performance from fitting.

The linings are on their way back from Saftek - so will see how they look when they arrive.
The brake shoes are back from Saftek with 1/8" black (dark grey) linings and the drums now slip on, with very little play. That was quick.

Also, in other news, an important extra bit has just turned up from Ian Rendall - thanks - and again good service.

We continue to be well served in the Austin Seven world?