The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Original sprung rear seat squab
Original sprung-type rear seat squab from a late 1930 AF. Just in case anyone is mad enough to attempt the construction of a replica, or has the shattered remains of one and needs some details of the construction, the attached pictures might help.
Presumably, all cars before Moseley float-on-air had sprung seats?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tony: I don't think your rear seat has the original covering. Enclosed photo taken from a 1928 Top Hat rear seat. Original and untouched.
Note the two catches to keep the seat in situ and the two oval  " cushion pads "  between the catches
Hi Tony,

Ian and Jen had some new sprung seat bases made for my 25th birthday - they are in the Ulster.

I will ask Ian where they were made, David Nightingale trimmed them.  They work very well but I have a feeling that Ulsters originally had the Mosley type, from the looks of original sales photos…

Just found a couple of detailed photos - sorry the quality's not the best.
Also note the springs are " bronzed ." Rust prevention?
Tony,

Ian suggests that it was almost certainly Ian Moorcraft.
I had my 1925 Chummy's rear seat recovered in about 1970 - I think it still had the original Rexine at that time. There were no springs inside it, just horsehair stuffing, which was fluffed up and replaced; it's still there today.
My 1926 Top Hat has the original sprung seat bases, front and rear, exactly as Tony and Chris illustrate.

I managed to obtain an original, sprung rear seat base for my 1927 Chummy on eBay and had that trimmed to suit; the Chummy front bases are replicas that were made by a company somewhere up north.

They are reasonably comfortable but an all day trip leads to a nether region ache after about 6 hours!
(07-08-2023, 07:49 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: Tony: I don't think your rear seat has the original covering. Enclosed photo taken from a 1928 Top Hat rear seat. Original and untouched.
Note the two catches to keep the seat in situ and the two oval  " cushion pads "  between the catches

Correct, the cover is not original and even had a second one over it. The whole base is in terrible condition - though it still "worked" until recently. Rather than research having a new one made, I had one made up by Simon Laxton with ordinary padding that looks just fine. If a precise replica could be made, I'd be interested - is Ian Moorcroft able to help? The one from the '28 Top Hat looks, by comparison, to be perfect with very interesting details of the bronze coating on the springs, catches, frame and covering. Even the latticework of fragile "chicken wire" is intact (mine had dissolved into rust and mostly fell out when the duct tape strapping over the bottom was peeled off (yet another bodge job by the previous owner). Thanks for posting the images.
My sister had some news bases made for her 1928 fabric saloon recently. Originals above and a sturdier new sprung base.        
(08-08-2023, 08:12 AM)Robert Foreman Wrote: My sister had some news bases made for her 1928 fabric saloon recently. Originals above and a sturdier new sprung base.

They look most impressive - even the style of 'chicken wire' looks to be the same as the original. Can you tell me who made them?
Something like this? https://www.jamiltonupholstery.co.uk/pro...VfEALw_wcB
Or: DIY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSiwXFaGsu4
Might be easier than I thought!