The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first new car
Looking through Ruairidh's collection of Gordon England pictures (from the post about the GE Stadium) I came across this lovely article from 'The Autocar' and thought it worth posting: Click the text for easier reading - and envy the car!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.docx   head seven .docx (Size: 1.29 MB / Downloads: 22)

Tony

Do you have your own Autocar collection, or like me are you whizzing through the far more easily  and currently freely accessible archive, as revealed to us recently. I was very impressed by the coverage of  launch of the Seven in July 22. Even amongst the ads for chauffeur's uniform and articles about driving ones Daimler through France, the Seven seem to be acknowledged as the start of something important.

And for any other anorak/researcher, July 15th 1927 has an illustrated piece about bodies by New Avon, of Warwick, Duple Bodies and by Arc Manufacturing of Hyde.
(02-08-2023, 06:36 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Tony

Do you have your own Autocar collection, or like me are you whizzing through the far more easily  and currently freely accessible archive, as revealed to us recently. I was very impressed by the coverage of  launch of the Seven in July 22. Even amongst the ads for chauffeur's uniform and articles about driving ones Daimler through France, the Seven seem to be acknowledged as the start of something important.

And for any other anorak/researcher, July 15th 1927 has an illustrated piece about bodies by New Avon, of Warwick, Duple Bodies and by Arc Manufacturing of Hyde.
Steve,
Unfortunately, I have only a few copies and most of those are ones with a Seven on the cover (I think that I might have the complete set). The complete set of Autocar covers can be bought in various forms from The Great British Car Journey (https://greatbritishcarjourney.com/produ...er-art/who have a deal with the magazine) where I helped a little with some of the clean-up work. The GE article was from Ruairidh's collection of GE material he posted in "Touring the North Coast". The Autocar Archive is now via a subscription of £40 for 13 copies of the magazine and access to the Archive.
Some 100 year old Photoshop going on...

Original photo:

[Image: red7970.jpg]
https://austinharris.co.uk/photo/gordon-...adium/662/

Then worked on to become this, (as in the article above).

[Image: S68-2616.jpg]
https://austinharris.co.uk/photo/gordon-...adium/529/

Also of interest maybe this one, (taken at the same time?)

[Image: red7971.jpg]
https://austinharris.co.uk/photo/gordon-...adium/663/
Looks like they painted out the oil spill!
That retouched photograph takes me back.

In my early days in publishing, working in the production department of the motoring press, it was one of my jobs to retouch and cut out shots with white and a thin brush…I think I’d need my extra strong specs to do it these days!

The original photograph is beautifully shot and you could cut out in PhotoShop in about ten seconds rather than an hour the old way.
This is one of the last GE Stadiums with a metal skin, one like this still exists in Japan.
This is a bit of an anorakish question but why do the front wings have a beaded edge and the rears don't? Austin fronts and G.E. rears perhaps?
Coachbuilt cars used stock that was given to them.

That year saw three styles of wings used.
(04-08-2023, 08:35 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: This is a bit of an anorakish question but why do the front wings have a beaded edge and the rears don't? Austin fronts and G.E. rears perhaps?
The front wings do look to be the standard type introduced in 1930, but the back, though similar, has a very different ending shape. Perhaps the Stadium rear wings are the earlier bought-on-the-cheap non-beaded type with the ends modified.  This is the same wing on my 1930 AF:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)