The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torque tube hanger
Hi all!
It's been a while since I posted here as I lost my login-credentials but now I'm back. 

I've been driving my Seven Special a lot more this season which obviously opens up for problems and needed adjustments. Now I'm looking at the Torque tube hanger "CV-joint" (word?) 

I really can't find any info on how to adjust the large locking nut, pointed here with a small white arrow. My feeling is to tighten it up and then give it some slack by returning it some, but I'm not sure this is what I should do? Any guidance here is appreciated. 

It's a -36 Ruby chassis.

Attached Files
.jpg   8.jpg (Size: 96.83 KB / Downloads: 264)
Woodrow (page E5-9) says "Secure with adjusting nut, tighten until socket will move but with resistance. Fit locking bolt and nut."
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Hi Henrik

You will be very lucky if you can tighten the adjusting nut as Woodrow says. Inevitably the ball at the end of the torque tube will have worn and often at an angle to the face of the adjusting nut. It is also common to find that the adjusting nut has run out of thread and is impossible to tighten fully.

David Stepney posted a fix for the first fairly recently and it is possible to turn down the torque tube bracket face so that you can get more movement on the adjusting nut.

Also remember that tightening the lock bolts and washers may cause the adjusting nut to tighten down on its thread. If the ball is locked solid it can cause the torque tube to fracture.

Cheers

Howard
The one in the picture looks as though its reached the end of the tread adjustment.
Jim
It looks as if you have the same problem I encountered; the adjuster has reached the end of the thread. As Howard has pointed out, there are two ways to overcome this:-
1, Machine about a 1/16in off the rear face of the mounting to get more adjustment, or
2. As I did (not having ant machining facilities and fearful of trying to file it and make a mess of it, make a shim from some 1.5 mm steel to fit between the front of the socket and the ball of the torque tube.

When i shimmed mine, it took a few weeks for it to settle down, probably because the shim did not fit the end of the tube perfectly, but for the last several hundred miles has proved perfectly satisfactory.
Thanks for all info, I'll investigate further how it looks on mine.