The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Year Ago Today...
(20-07-2023, 08:20 AM)e the Mike Costigan Wrote: Two more from Prescott:

It is fascinating to see the Duck alongside the later Austin Racing Car- what a difference- not that the duck was a slouch but those brake drums !!
This photo of Daisy was taken a year ago today, by Peter Rowlands, one of our favourites.

We never got to the Prescott event as we were too busy on site and could not leave.
Not only does she design Austin sports vans at the age of 11 but she can also stand on a vertical cliff face without falling off Smile
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
One hundred smiley faces!
It was 40 degrees and I was directing traffic. That is the image I have of Daisy as she handed me a welcome water bottle  on her rounds. 
In the far right of the photo you can see the open road 2 seater of Nick and Caroline Beck, it's flying the austin 7 centenary rally flag of Warnambool Australia on the windscreen. We were generously loaned this car for the event and it's floppy flywheel engine didn't miss a beat.
Hi All

A year ago today all eyes were on the sky waiting for the fly past!

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   IMG_2724.jpeg (Size: 94.8 KB / Downloads: 195)
Memories of Morton are vivid — not only the wonderful collection of Sevens but the blisteringly hot weather. 
And what a contrast with this year’s Prescott. I drove over to Oxford on the Friday before — four hours in an open top special in constant downpour. Screen clear works but up to a point!
Managed three climbs under thundery skies. The drive back to Norfolk on Sunday was a lot happier with a strong tail wind and sunshine. 
A great weekend, although we missed the Spitfire and Hurricane, but great company staying with Jack Peppiatt and Amanda Peters.
Today, 1 year ago, was the day we drove home - still in sunshine which had been continuous for the whole week.  

We had gone over on the Tuesday, in very high temperatures - after waiting all day for it to cool down, finally set off after 5 p.m., then discovered that the modern had something called Air Conditioning as standard, so we put that on, kept the sunroof closed and drove over to experience what can justly claim to have been the Best Party Ever!

As we approached Moreton-in-Marsh the traffic became perceptibly Austin 7 orientated. When we turned in to the Fire HQ we could not believe it - they were everywhere. We started to smile, and we continued smiling all week long. So many new friends were made, so many old acquaintances recognised, so much just fun to be had.......

We just thought our appreciation and indeed admiration for everyone involved in the perfect organisation deserved to be said publicly - it is so easy just to enjoy some event, go away afterwards and never say Thank You. Which we do now as loudly as possible. 

On behalf of everyone who was there, Organisers - please accept our grateful "Thanks".

As ever,

Peter and Peggy Butler 

(1935 "Le Mans" Speedy.)
A year ago today we were trying to get to see as many of the cars as we could in between running our stand. We closed for a long lunch-break so that we could listen to the fabulous Eureka Jazz band and watch the Spitfire from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight fly overhead. It made 3 passes over us then waggled its wings in farewell. A fantastic sight & spine-tingling sound as always.
I got a phone call from the pilot after he had landed back at RAF Coningsby to check that it had all gone well, which got an enthusiastic "Yes thank you!" from me. He said that he'd had to fly 2 Spitfires that day - "Well, someone's got to do it!".

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)