The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Seven v Bugatti
Hi Colin, David etc.

Others have taken up the challenge of writing a comparison between the Peugeot Quadrilette and the Seven (which is to appear in the 2023C issue of the Grey Mag). The differences may be far too great for a realistic comparison between the Bugatti and Seven but the existence of this thread suggests otherwise? I would welcome your views.

Email me on editor@a7ca.org if willing!

Cheers

Howard
With the intended purpose of the two cars being so different, there are bound to be significant differences in design, materials and manufacturing methods employed. However, I started this thread after reading a copy of Conway's Bugatti book last week - I hadn't realised how small some of the early Bugatti cars were - nor what type of suspension was employed. It is very likely that Sir Herbert would have been properly aware of the Bugatti design, and probably its manufacturing costs, and where with his design he needed to do something different to achieve his aims. Perhaps being aware that a well-engineered small Bugatti made for a highly practical vehicle perhaps helped provide confidence that a well-engineered Seven could work well on the same scale?

One of the really clever aspects of the Austin chassis - as pointed out in David Morgan's book - is the complex nose piece that carries out so many viral functions - e.g. holding the front suspension, body and radiator supports and the chassis itself. The Bugatti has a more conventional layout at the front end.

The track on the Type 13 6'6" chassis was 3'9" - so that is quite a bit wider than the Austin's 3'4" - and wider than the rear on the longer Austin chassis at 3'7". This hints at a bit more stability, but the racing Austins didn't seem to need it, once the suspension was lowered?
Hi All

Just so everyone knows what we’re talking about I snapped this one at the VSCC event in Llandrindod in 2022.

Cheers

Howard
.jpeg   IMG_2490.jpeg (Size: 147.75 KB / Downloads: 214)
Whilst the radiator is impressive, the body doesn't do justice to what is beneath?

Extra power from niceties like the twin magneto are not necessary for the Austin.
A video of the 'Festival of Slowth' from 2019 shows an example of the small Bugatti-designed Peugeot, starting at 0.42 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_QSHIAg8XU

that owner should hung & quartered for using a shifting spanner on such a beautiful, historic car

guess some owners simply do not appreciate such thing of beauty

Bernard
I've passengered a Type 13 Brescia Bugatti on several occasions. My, do they fly. Lovely cars but not a lot of room in the cockpit.
The use of the shifting spanner, as in the above picture, is fine in that context. (The most knowledge retired mechanic I know [over 70 years experience] used one to nip up the plugs on my car when he was helping me by finding a misfire on the Ruby.)