The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real cost of EVs
Given that the life of lithium ion batteries is 7 years as a local Volvo EV owner learnt and a replacement would cost him £17000 it is far too early to buy an EV. Whilst the industry seems to be concentrating on the expensive end of the market, what about a practical EV like the Citroen Ami? I did try to find out more about it with no success. I get the distinct impression that EVs are a big scam being a typical political idea with little or no thought given to it. Given that most cities have vast amounts of terraced housing with no off street parking where would the owners charge their EVs or do they just run the cable across the pavement producing a trip hazard for pedestrians.
A local Seven owner converted his RP saloon to electric and it was OK but the DVLA gave him a Q plate which would have put his insurance costs through the roof so he's selling it, with or without the motor, and bought a Austin 12/4.
There was a Tesla parked in town the other day with a dog in the back, which on a hot day was a bit of a worry, my friend peered inside and on the huge TV in the dash was a picture of a dog wagging its tail, with a caption saying I’m okay, my owner has se the air conditioning to 19 degrees, which I thought was quite clever...until he goes to drive home and it says you only have eight miles left...

personally, I think the government has got electric cars about as right as it has HS2, people want cost effective personal transport and the greener the better. The carbon footprints of electric cars and HS2 will never be neutral in my lifetime.
I remain convinced that electric/battery vehicles are a stop-gap. We are going to have to accustom ourselves to working for what we think we need. We'll also have to give up the incredibly self-indulgent use of motor vehicles to "pop back into town as I forgot the carrots" and our undeniable desire to park outside the door of the greengrocer. Yes I'm guilty too! No-one wants to forego a convenience that we have long assumed was limitless but, it is inevitable.
Town transport and short to medium commute? bicycle/cargo bike with battery assistance.
Long distance? Public transport (if we ever get round to sorting it out properly)
Strangely, I've been to our local monthly old car do in Alès this morning and two people have asked me if the RO was electric because the engine was so quiet. I did say to them " you need to be inside when it's doing 50mph...!"

I had to show them under the bonnet to convince them.
Quiet? Now your just showing off Bruce!
I suppose it is a bit quiet when it's just trundling on tick over in 2nd.
(04-06-2023, 11:06 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: We'll also have to give up the incredibly self-indulgent use of motor vehicles to "pop back into town as I forgot the carrots"

Somehow it doesn’t seem so bad when you pop down the road to the lake for an ice cream in a Seven (3 mile round trip)

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_3288.jpeg (Size: 126.72 KB / Downloads: 315)
Agree with most of the points made.
However if you own or run a company the tax incentives to buy one are very compelling, especially if higher rates of corporation tax are impacting you.

Charles
First problem with an EV may be will the grid be able to supply the electricity needed to power all these vehicles? 
Last winter there was this clever scheme paying people not to switch appliances on as the current supply grid was nearly maxed out.This is without any more EV's on the road.
If we are all forced to dump gas fired boilers,well further demand.
Without trying to get too political for "Low emission zones" should locals be forced not to put heating on etc to achieve this goal ?
The next thing is going to be Particulates,minute tyre deposits brake pad dust etc.
15 minute cities,won't work either,may have done if we still lived as in the 1950's,the days when all the workers poured out of the factories at the end of the day on their bikes or walking,the days when people lived near to the place of work,which of course most now do not.
I too run a near 20 year old dirty diesel,130k miles up to 60 mpg/60 mph 700 m range.I'm sure it will last twice as long as an EV.
Interesting article in the Daily Mail today by Rowan Atkinson about EV’s .
Besides being a brilliant comedian and good classic car racer his first degree was in electrical and electronic engineering with a masters in control engineering,plus being a keen EV supporter.
Saw him get his first podium with his mk7 Jaguar at Goodwood last year.