The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any forum members with knowledge of 1930's motorbikes?
Hi everyone,

I've been asked to identify the make of bike in this period photo. Clearly it's an inclined OHV single cylinder with twin exhaust ports and a polished inclined fuel tank. The registration shows that it was first registered in Liverpool in August 1934.

Jeff.

.png   Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 20.28.14.png (Size: 1.31 MB / Downloads: 348)

Jeff.
Hi
I think it could be a Cotton, possibly a 6j, 250cc
Yes the triangular frame is the give away, I too think it’s a Cotton.
Thanks Nath and Ivor. Looking at photos of Cotton's on the net featuring the patented Triangulated Frame, it would seem you're both spot-on with your assessments. Apparently in 1934 Cotton offered 19 different models fitted with a number of British engines (Villiers, Blackburne, JAP and Python) of various capacities though I'm not sure which particular make of engine / capacity features in the photo. Must admit I'd never heard of Cotton bikes before.

Thanks again to both of you, much appreciated.

Jeff.
Cotton were still selling Villiers engined moto cross bikes in the 1970s.
When I was a kid I remember my Uncle Roger had a Cotton with a Villiers engine.  He was an active trials rider in the 60's and 70's, living in Howarth, not far from the epicentre of trials riding, Silsden in West Yorkshire.
Lampkin territory!