The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel starvation.
(25-05-2023, 11:03 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Could be a large piece of dirt (rust flake?) actually inside the tank which floats over the outlet.

(25-05-2023, 02:36 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: Does your fuel tap have a reserve? When I had a similar problem last year, pulling the reserve solved it. Turned out there was a partial blockage in the main tap stand pipe that reduced its diameter but didn't fully stop the flow and the engine was using more fuel than the tap could deliver. Taking the top of the carb off when this happened showed an empty float bowl but turning the fuel on produced a flow.

Steve

No reserve; just an elbow on the front of the tank.

I have checked there is no blockage.  The tank is rust free.  A few years ago I gave it a thorough clean and applied ethanol proof TOPAX sealant which is still holding up well.  No sign of it coming off at all ...but of course you can't see everywhere inside - even with a dental mirror on a stick!
I think I have fixed the problem. The valve in the bottom of the float chamber had become loose and worked it's way up to the needle; closing off the petrol in the process.!

I knew it had to be something simple.!

Thanks for all your suggestions

Ray.
Hooray! Isn’t it great when you find a simple solution!
(25-05-2023, 10:43 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Hooray! Isn’t it great when you find a simple solution!

Austin Sevens...don't you just love 'em? Smile