The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fifty-five years ago
....we were motoring through the Cotswolds in our Nippy (SO 5493) enjoying the views and the smells when a half shaft broke. We were fairly new to A7's but in subsequent years I realised that when we bought the car in Tamwworth from Simon Mostyn ( who remembers stuff like this?) I realised on the way back to Bimingham that all was not quite right. It took an expert to point out that one 17" and one 19" wheel on the rear axle might be the cause of the lurchy ride,no doubt precipitating the half shaft failure. Fortunately we knew the trick of locking the diff.with a spare wheel nut,but whilst doing this Fred came long and stopped to help. He told us of his Austin 7 and we following him home to see the 1933 saloon that he had "laid up" a few years previously. Remember, this will make sixty years of storage. That is longer than the car had been on the road from 1933. There was also a pile of spares. We kept in touch over the next years,meeting at various music events in the area and he always said that he would get round to the car,and then it changed to "when he retired". But we all know that the inevitable happened and Fred never did get round to it. He never took part in any A7 events and never was a club member but over the years he collected enough spare parts to build another car. The upshot of all this us that rather than the scrap man clearing the garages I offered to buy the car and all the bits based on what I could see of the car under mountains of junk. Three days of digging rubbish revealed the car and it's a 1933 saloon in original but poor condition. However the deal was done and I was the owner. It is now sitting in my garage awaiting decisions and fortunately the V5c was present so that the registration number can be retained. However....in view of my expenditure,I am now trying to recoup a little of my money via selling the spares. Hence you will see regular Sales notices from me in the Forum and elsewhere. If you need anything,however small,please get in touch. We are not charging dealer prices! Happy Motoring!