The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 7 V8 Engines
A question for the historians- did the Factory ever produce a pre-war V8 engine using two Austin 7 blocks mounted on a special crankcase with the standard Austin 1 5/16" crank?

I have been told this could have been for Herbert's boat engine.

I believe that the few V8 engines mentioned over the years are a recent build and nothing to do with the Austin Motor Company.
I've never heard mention of a Longbridge V8. There were a couple of prototype V8s assessed by the American Austin factory in Butler but I don't think even these were factory built - I seem to remember they were an initiative from a dealer. There have been several more recent engines.
I believe the Harker special was originally built with an 8 cylinder engine using two Austin 7 blocks on a different crankcase.
Somewhere I read that Arthur Waite wanted to build a 1500cc engine using two A7 blocks for use in a racing car but Sir Herbert vetoed the idea.
From Bill Sheehan,

Austin V8 engine.
It may be of interest that in the  '30s Jamieson designed a racing  car for Austin that included a rear-mounted V8 engine, but because it was nothing like the products Herbert sold, it was rejected. So much for the post-war Formula Ones being innovative.  Jamieson then went on with the magnificent Twin Cam engines which Herbert reluctantly accepted, so Arthur Waite told me.   Cheers,  Bil lin Oz

Austin 7 V8s. Correction please - On reflection I may have made an error.  I think now that Jamieson's  design was for a mid-engine V8, not rear-engined as I wrote.   Cheers, Bill in Oz