The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argentina
I was chatting the other day to a fellow Sevener who had the good fortune to have known Freddie Henry. During our chat, my chum made a throw away comment about Freddie having mentioned going to Argentina on behalf of Austin to look at sales opportunities and manufacture/assembly in that country. At that, my ears perked up as the Military Album that I have talked about before is thought to have come from Argentina. 

Does anyone have any knowledge of the trip or anywhere it might be documented. It's new to me and I am fascinated by the potential link...

thanks..

Hugh
Hugh,
See page 51 of Freddie Henry's recollections " Austin from the Inside "
The trip was in 1935, using the latest Ruby model.
Thanks for that, Chris. That probably does away with any suggestion that Henry's visit and the Military Album are related in any way, the Album being earlier. There is still an odd Argentinian connection though, I feel. I recall visiting the latr David Morgan and him showing me a Military model brochure that he had purchased, again from Argentina...

One of those things that weill probably never be explained...

Hugh
I had a phone call from Stuart Ulph this morning (plus a subsequent one from Robert Foreman). Apparently there was a large ex-pat community in Argentina in the 20s/30s attracted by all sorts of opportunitiies for a bright young man to make his fortune. Amongst the various facts Stuart was able to impart, he told me that in 1931 there was a large British Trade exhibition in Buenos Aires which may well align with the date of the Military Album. One could certainly imagine as well as Austin having a stand at said exhibition (Stuart, I gather may have a photo buried somewhere), some more 'high powered' discussions going on behind closed doors.

We are still in the 'we may never know' territory, but that does add an interesting snippet to the possibilities...

A brief search with Google reveals much...

https://archive.commercialmotor.com/arti...retrospect