The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metal to metal screech when brakes applied.
Hello all, I have finally found the cause of my metal to metal screech when the brakes are applied. The front offside brake is the culprit. To be more exact the brake shoe that is nearest to the front of the car. When the brakes are applied as well as moving outwards towards the inside of the drum it also twists towards the hub and catches the fixings for the wheel studs thus the awful sound. The wheel has new shoes and linings together with a new brake cam and bush. The hub bearings are good with no signs of wear or play in them.
Can anyone suggest a fix for this problem.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Couple of thoughts.
When I set mine up I set the shoes close to the drums, just a couple of mm gap, so when brakes applied they had little travel and so little space to twist. With all new parts might the shoes be to far from the drum?
Alternatively you don't mention new springs, again in my limited experience, with the small amount of space it is easy to distort/twist/bend the springs as you are trying to get them onto the shoe hooks. That might result in uneven pull and so twisting, or allowing twist if old and weakened?
Over to someone cleverer and with more than experience than me...
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Are the pivot pins screwed in tight? I found that, if these are loose, the shoes can rock on the backplate.
Although I can see your car is a mk1 Ruby, I don't suppose it has a semi-Girling front axle fitted?

The early version of this axle had pull-off springs fitted over pegs, which tended to pull the shoes outwards. If so, the pegs are best removed and the later pull-off springs used, which also helpfully hold the shoes back in place, and will fit directly into the holes that are left.