The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Oil
I'm hoping for some advice on a conundrum I'm experiencing with my Speedy. It doesn't seem to be using any oil!

I changed the oil and filter just before the Curborough track day at the beginning of April and last Sunday went to the Scramble at Bicester Heritage. Some 3-400 miles cruising at 55-60 on the motorways and screaming around the Curborough track for a day. The oil level hasn't dropped. If anything it has increased!

No water has been used and there is no sign of water in the oil.

I know Paul Bonewell engines are totally oil tight but I didn't expect this kind of magic. My only thought is that perhaps the pump diaphram has developed a leak (it is a red type).

So two questions:
  • How to detect petrol in the oil?
  • Has anyone experienced thsi problem?

Any other thoughts?
My special engine was built by Reg Nice many years ago. After running-in we completed the Jogle in 22 hours, running at just under 50 miles an hour for the whole trip. There was barely any change in the level. We covered over 1500 miles before reaching home with no room at all to top up. 

It didn't go up though!
You could drain the oil and see if it smells of fuel, and could also test whether its diluted by putting a drop of the sump oil on a smooth vertical surface (like the outside of a 5 litre oil can) and then doing the same with some fresh oil and comparing how far the two drops run. Also worth draining the oil if you have a sports sump in just in case your oil is sitting on some water, if the oil pickup doesn't suck up the water it won't turn the oil to that nasty Mayonnaise.
Magic reply Stuart