The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby interior light
Did the Ruby have an interior light ?
If so was it switched 
A pic would be great
No, there was no interior light in a Ruby. The Big 7 had a light, with an integral switch.
Thanks
Has anyone fitted one ?
Ours is a fixed head Ruby, 1937, and appears to have had one from new. I have seen another two fixed-heads with the same light. The light had a switch on the side of it (now replaced with one on the dashboard). Wiring followed the route of the trafficator wiring up the door pillar and along behind the headlining.
Ours is a fixed head ruby 1938 and had none before I fitted one. Although it had an integral switch I have fitted an obvious , period, one on the drivers door pillar. The light is now being shifted rearward to make way for the smokers hatch picked up at Moreton last year.
My illustrated Austin Seven Saloon Body Parts list, publication 1521 dated April 1937, does not show an interior light fitting.
It does, however Squeak, show a Roof Ventilator, part number 2H5796, fitted to a fixed roof model !
Here's ours. It could be an aftermarket one but has been there since 1954 at least, and was fitted when the original headlining was in place; fitting the light would have meant removing the headlining and refitting it. The car dates from very early '37.

Similar lights were readily available from accessory suppliers in the late '30s but most were about twice the size of this one.

I've just trawled through all show brochures at https://archive.a7ca.org/collections/show-brochures/ and I can't find any mention of an interior light - but perhaps if one was fitted it was considered unimportant - or the writer of the brochure had failed to notice the inclusion of one. The most comprehensive description of late Ruby and early Big Seven models is probably https://www.archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/..._1539A.pdf. For the Big Seven, the interior light is mentioned, but not for the Ruby, despite a comprehensive list of other fittings. Still, we can never be sure; perhaps the brochure writer just failed to notice it or it was left out deliberately to persuade potential customers that a Big Seven it had to be; after all, that did have an interior light - perhaps today's equivalent of a heated steering wheel or 'edge LED strip lighting' being available.

Attached Files
.jpg   Big 7.jpg (Size: 98.54 KB / Downloads: 155)
.jpg   Ruby.jpg (Size: 90.74 KB / Downloads: 155)
Have you a pic
Not sure what you mean by fixed head
Fixed roof model as opposed to one with a sliding sun roof...which wouldn't make a ventilator very practical!