The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonnet Corner Rubbers
Old Dave, what we need is a photograph!
Mine are through the lot, with the screw part cut off flush with the nut and then a blob of liquid rubber on the top to stop it scratching.
I'm with Reckers, with the added sikaflex inside to stop water trapping
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
My bonnet is off as the engine is out, just checked, the bonnet had existing holes already in place in each of the front corners of the bonnet and each corner rubber had no hole when purchased.
Simply drilled a small hole in the corner right through both faces of the rubbers and used brass bifurcated rivets, no problems to date.

.jpg   Bonnet corner.jpg (Size: 25.58 KB / Downloads: 183)
The original corner is a different shape to the ones available now. The rivets shown are on my unrestored RN. They are tubular type like around the back of the front seat. The rubber should only be riveted through the back face of it. 

[attachment=21133][attachment=21134][attachment=21135]
(18-03-2023, 11:44 AM)Old Dave Wrote: Well we all know what these are!!??

Silly question  -   How are they supposed to fit?    My bonnet has holes close to the corners and my rubbers are held in place with bifurcated rivets that don't show on the outside.

I am fitting new ones, so can someone please tell me how they should be mounted?    I do have copper and black bif-rivets.

Personal irrelevant note - "bifurcated" was one of my first 50 words as my Dad was an airframes fitter.  I am a Met Man (or was) and one of my daughters first words was " Contrail"

Well, we should know that they are not Austin bonnet corners. 
They are modern 'Holdtite' generics which are very slightly vaguely similar.

Austin corners have raised ridged edge detail 
The correct flxings are double cap tubular brass rivets. Not bifurcated rivets, nuts and bolts nor glue.

From Austin Seven, Body spare parts, publication 1521, p 7.....

.png   Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 21.53.23.png (Size: 111.92 KB / Downloads: 135)
Thank you Henry that is very useful and makes total sense.

Two minutes on eBay shows such rivets are available in black as well. I will try to find some long enough for the job. Careful measuring required.

Thanks again.

Thanks also to all for your input - enlightening and helpful as always.

My new petrol tank goes in tomorrow hopefully not leaking from the drain plug or the outlet. I am getting quite excited.
Excellent, I have never really known the correct way the corners were attached, like Old Dave, I shall now attempt to do the job properly, thanks all!
David Cochrane sells the correct style rubber corners, as illustrated in Henry's post above.

Here is one of them we have fitted to our Pearl Cabriolet, I used a bifurcated rivet, as I had them.