The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'29 to '31 starter motor type?
Hello all, I'm after a correct starter motor of the late vintage type between the bacon slicer type and the side crankcase mounted type. I understand that this type isn't interchangeable with the other types, but I'm not sure which starter model type I should be looking for? It'd also be useful to know if there's an easy visual identification for this sort?

On a semi related note I'm also after a floor mounted starter button. In the absence of an original, are there any 'modern' types that are known to fit? I wondered if the early mini ones would be about right but I think they're too small.

Any input much appreciated!
Rupert
Have you checked Tony Betts' catalogue? (Seven County Austins)
I'm pretty sure he had a floor-mounted starter button for sale.
Hi Rupert

I think you are looking for a CAV 35 as in the photos below.

Note the switch carries the full wattage from battery to starter (no solenoid) so needs to be capable of taking high amperage.  I would imagine a mini starter switch may incorporate a solenoid and would be 12 volt (half the ampage of a 6 volt switch for the same power).

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   66652126-B409-4708-8649-38D190273128.jpeg (Size: 45.36 KB / Downloads: 386)

.jpeg   12648E1C-050E-464D-975B-97AA41ED48F9.jpeg (Size: 50.78 KB / Downloads: 385)

.jpeg   BB8E146F-6CDD-4740-960A-515F1CDEC7AD.jpeg (Size: 42.45 KB / Downloads: 384)
The Mini starter button is full-current and might be adaptable. I bought one to see the possibility of using it with a bacon-slicer unit but put it to one side. This wiring diagram for the pre-1964 Mini is the top hit on this page here: https://www.classicminidiy.com/technical/electrical/  [/b]

If you can bear to watch it, here a chap think about fitting one to a Mini
Thanks all that's all really helpful.
Very happy to be corrected but I had thought that the CAV35 was not correct as that was fitted to the other versions and therefore spins in the wrong direction?
If the starter were turned round to face the front and swapped to the nearside of the engine, it would still turn the engine the correct way i.e. anti-clockwise when viewed from the driving seat.
(22-02-2023, 11:36 AM)RupertW Wrote: Hello all, I'm after a correct starter motor of the late vintage type between the bacon slicer type and the side crankcase mounted type. I understand that this type isn't interchangeable with the other types, but I'm not sure which starter model type I should be looking for? It'd also be useful to know if there's an easy visual identification for this sort?

On a semi related note I'm also after a floor mounted starter button. In the absence of an original, are there any 'modern' types that are known to fit? I wondered if the early mini ones would be about right but I think they're too small.

Any input much appreciated!
Rupert

I understand the 'vacuum cleaner' mounting is very hard to find.
The starter button bought from a local motor factor masqueraded under a number of names and part numbers for Minis and series 1 Landies amongst other things, but seems to work perfectly well.

Tee forward facing and rear facing starter motors are not interchangeable, otherwise life would b much easier!
(22-02-2023, 09:22 PM)RupertW Wrote: Thanks all that's all really helpful.
Very happy to be corrected but I had thought that the CAV35 was not correct as that was fitted to the other versions and therefore spins in the wrong direction?

Hi Rupert

The in car CAV starter has a left hand quick thread and rotates clockwise whilst the later under bonnet starter does have a right hand thread and rotates anti-clockwise. (Sorry to disagree with you David).

The later starter which I believe are all badged as Lucas (someone will no doubt correct me) is distinguishable by the cable switch mounted on the starter itself. 

Cheers

Howard
Quite right Howard except the one on the RN I bought 40 years ago, it looked correct but the engine would't start because it was running the wrong way.