The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving a Seven in modern day Traffic
My RP gets used quite regularly as transport. Indeed, today, I used it to go to Llangollen along the A5 for much of the way. The car is more or less as it was built, save for flashing indicators and a bit of a headlamp upgrade to 36 watt bulbs. I make no further concessions to modern traffic and have not come to grief yet in now 20k miles of Seven motoring over the last 4 years.

And yes, I tend to drive fairly defensively. I was taught, when learning to drive many years ago, to drive as if everybody else on the road was an idiot and out to kill me.
one flash means.....I am about to, have changed lanes.
I think it makes a big difference whether you want to drive an unmodified Chummy or a late Ruby.  The later car with its high steel body looks (and behaves) to other drivers (especially from the back) much like a modern car – once indicators are fitted.  On the road, it is just a bit tardy when accelerating and has a low top speed. Most now have modified lights at the rear to make them legal and easier to see.

But an unmodified Chummy has no brake lights, no indicators, and does not look anything like a modern car from any angle.  When I was driving a Chummy in Warrington a few years ago, in addition to having to watch out and leave space as usual in a Seven, some drivers around me reacted very strangely, distracted by the car – and then caused a problem on a number of occasions.  For example, one drove around a large roundabout on my inside - keeping pace - so they could look, but I then couldn't take a normal line - or leave!  Incidents like this made me wary of routinely driving the Chummy in normal traffic, which was hectic enough without interference, and most of the rest of the miles I did that summer were on quiet country lanes. 

By comparison, the Ruby fits in well enough, even in 2023.  If I find that I am gathering a snake of cars behind me on an A-road, then I look for somewhere to let them pass – but this doesn’t happen very often as most people can nip through when safe.  I choose routes where I know the roads and junctions – sometimes I will do a circular trip when going somewhere so that left turns out-number right i.e. anti-clockwise!  I also try to avoid giant roundabouts.  In general, there is no problem driving around in town as the average speed these days is about 20mph.  And the Ruby cooling system appears to cope with traffic jams, even on the hottest days.
Apart from having two tail lights instead of one and two dipped beam head lamps, about the only concession to modern motoring with my 1930 Austin Swallow has been the fitting of brake lights. The D lamps also illuminate the number plate but as I no longer drive at night it has limited value. I try to restrict my little outings to the roads that "Trundles" has only ever known; country lanes in and around Derbyshire villages. I get no hassle and more often than not a smile or a wave. I would never take an A7 on a motorway or dual carriageway these days as I know I would be vulnerable. The best improvement has been cast iron brake drums.
Following on from what others have already spoken of, Ruby is pretty standard with the only additions I have is an additional set of indicators and LED lights fitted throughout.

However on the Eurotour last year both brother Pete and myself used a magnetic "Slow Vehicle" warning strip across the rear end of our Austin's.

These are pretty loud but are easily removable and can be easily stored and do not break the bank. I now use these on any long journey but now for local running around.

One thing, do not leave them on continuously, especially after rain, take then off and dry the bodywork. 

I attach a few pics on a word document taken whilst we were away, the second pic was whilst waiting to for the free ferry cross the Rhine.

Cheers

Attached Files
.docx   Ruby and Jane Eurotour.docx (Size: 2.4 MB / Downloads: 59)
I think it is best to remember that the highway authorities and a lot of drivers have very little between their ears whilst the Police in recent years have demonstrated that they are not fit for purpose. Our local council spent a year reducing the width of half a mile of main road to build a cycle lane with a kerb between it and the road. Drivers treat the cycle lane as a parking bay and the cyclists still use the now narrower road.      I've sent local Councillors some photos with no response. Perhaps it's best to leave the Seven at home and use a Challenger tank.
(16-02-2023, 08:57 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: I think it is best to remember that the highway authorities and a lot of drivers have very little between their ears whilst the Police in recent years have demonstrated that they are not fit for purpose. Our local council spent a year reducing the width of half a mile of main road to build a cycle lane with a kerb between it and the road. Drivers treat the cycle lane as a parking bay and the cyclists still use the now narrower road.   I've sent local Councillors some photos with no response. Perhaps it's best to leave the Seven at home and use a Challenger tank.

Looking at that photo Dave, there is another problem. If cyclists did use the newly provided cycle lane they would all have to stop and wait whenever a householder came out of his house drive in a car, and waited for a gap in the traffic.
Ah but all the drives have a white stop line as do the side roads Andrew but whether they obey it is another point.
I fully understand Colin’s concerns regarding driving a Chummy in modern traffic, but my experience has been that everyone sees it (with two tail lights and stop lights) simply because it is different from everything else on the road...perhaps the blue and black colour scheme helped, I’m not sure, but my wife was a lot happier in the Chummy than she is in the box saloon...so most of the time these days, it’s only me in the car, which is a shame.
Todays jobette in the garage was modifying my mobile phone mounting so I can use it on a vertical windscreen. That will enable me to use the video on the phone on Sunday when I go to Nîmes. I'll take two videos, one of a run down the "old road" and then I'll take another one as I run down to the Nîmes ring road on my way to the exhibition hall. They will be a bit different!

I have noticed that since I fitted indicators, and then later upgraded them to LED bulbs, I seem to be getting far less "conflict" situations with other traffic. I did at one time think of getting one of those big orange hands on a stick to push out of the nearside window as a back up, but I haven't needed it yet.

[Image: 54e821c8-1926-4972-b33b-5fd741ccfbc7_1.9...nBg=ffffff]

In heavy traffic I run with the sidelights on for a bit more visibility.