The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SU electrical fuel pump
Are these pumps a worthwhile modification on a standard engine ?
Some advantages to be gained
You always know there is petrol in the carb be fore you crank
You know when fuel tank is empty
Many people use with SU carb a good upgrade for some
Do mechanical pumps not all have a priming lever?
(04-02-2023, 12:54 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Do mechanical pumps not all have a priming lever?

They mostly do have a hand lever for priming, but that means lifting the engine cover. Electric SU pump ticks and talks to you. Constant fast ticking  =  run out of petrol. A few ticks to begin with but then stops means the pump is working and has primed the carb. An occasional tick means all is good. Total silence might mean the carb is full or might mean a fault somewhere.

I have a mechanical pump on my seven, and from cold I prime the petrol and the oil by spinning the starting handle a dozen spins or so.
Not all pumps have a priming lever, particularly the ones fitted to '34 Tourers, and, I guess, other cars of this date.

The in and out connectors are in different positions, so if you change to the later type of pump, you have to change the pipework a bit.
I've used SU pumps for many years and find them completely reliable on the road. They have a tendency to stick if left unused for a long time - can usually be coaxed back into life with a bit of deft tapping...