The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bar's leak
New 7 owner.
1930 Chummy with 1935 engine has minor leak of water into oil. I'm wondering if members have experience of Bar's or similar for temporary repair.
To me that says either your block is cracked or your head gasket is leaking. Personally I'd investigate - the one is easily solved, the other requires more decisive action than a rad additive, in my opinion.
Of all the cooling system leak sealers that I have tried, I always found Bars Leaks to be the best. That was a few decades ago though.
Is there any oil on top of the water in the radiator also if you run the engine do you see any bubbles appearing when you look in the radiator filler? If yes it's the head joint.
The radiator water is oil free. Can't run it yet as I'm still recomissioning after 8 month layoff,but thanks. I fear the worst though.
K-Seal is good stuff I've used it on several applications, however as the seven doesn't have a water pump im sceptical to how well it would circulate
I, too have used K Seal, as Barr’s seems to be unobtainable round here. I had a persistent slow drip from the base of the drain tap on my radiator when I first had the car. A dose of K Seal cured the problem. However, given that the leak was at the very bottom of the system, it is small wonder that the sealant would sink to that position. Having said that, notwithstanding the lazy water circulation of a thermosyphon system, I would imagine  some sealant would be carried round to seal other leaks.

For the cost, I would put some Barr’s or K Seal in and see how it goes.
I have used barrs and holts radweld on on probably more than 20 cars with great success
Just a thought it sounds like the engine has stood for a while best get it running then see if the problem still occurs!
Bill asked me to post this :

"Over many years I've tried all brands and found Bars the best by far  (except once in desperation I tried Chemi-weld which solved the problem over a long trip.  It proved successful and when I removed the Chummy head it came off in three pieces!).  But Bars reminds me of a Club motorkhana when one member had boiling trouble and made many trips to a long trough before the soupy water finally solved the problem.  It was only then that he noticed the other end of the trough contained a dead sheep.  When telling this to members at a Club meeting one wag called out "It must have been Baa's Leaks?"        Bill Sheehan"
Have you tried popping out the spark plugs to see if there is water in the bores?