The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Gauge Sender Unit float
For the last 4 years, I have been using an old champagne cork to replace the metal float on my car's sender unit, which, when removed looked more like colander.
Now, however, the gauge has once again stopped reading correctly, the reason being that the cork has become petrol logged (I didn't know cork would do this!)
Amongst my bit and pieces, I have found a new plastic float from the later type Smiths sender unit which would be an ideal replacement if I can find a way of attaching it to my sender's arm.
Gluing it along the lines of where the original float was soldered to the arm would be the ideal solution, but most glues don't like petrol.
Can anyone think of, or recommend a glue that is petrol resistant?
Could it be attached with the means of a suitable jubilee clip soldered to the arm then attach the plastic float into the jubilee clip and tighten it up. I suggest the arm is soldered near to the opposite end to that which screw in on the worm.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi

No suggestions for glue, but could you make up a lightweight "cage" out of thin copper wire to go round the float, then solder that to the arm ?
Thank you for your suggestions so far gentlemen. John, I had thought of making such a cage to support the float (a) to keep it in place during the fixing process and (b) as 'belt and braces' just in case the float came adrift at any point. I imagine that retrieving it should that happen would be a considerable task!

The other John, I quite like the idea of using a jubilee clip. I will think about that one.
I bought a brass float from the web, and soldered it on.   Was under a tenner, I think.
I have found that a calibrated Stick saves a lot of stress ?
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
(01-02-2023, 09:10 AM)Derek Sheldon Wrote: I have found that a calibrated Stick saves a lot of stress ?

Derek, I am a bit OCD about these things. If it is fitted it has to work.
I have been using a calibrated length of brass rod for over 30 years. Never failed once.
If you can get a new brass float solder it to the arm, sorted. I'd avoid copper if possible, it seems to suffer more from the ethanol effect...
My float on the special had been replaced with a small Brasso tin, which might provide another suggestion to the problem. Trouble is most things come in plastic bottles these days.