The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faulty LED
As mentioned on this forum previously, I have fitted LED’s throughout on Ruby but this was not without issue.
Rear and side lights being temperamental, indicators being very erratic even with a purpose made surpressor fitted.
All issues were eventually eliminated by fitting individual earth wires where applicable, mainly in my case by trial and error but they all work well now ……….. says he rapidly searching for a piece of wood to touch!
(04-02-2023, 11:06 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: All Austin 7 wiring should use a wired earth return. Never rely on earthing via bodywork. Fitting earth wires is the simplest way of improving lighting, starting, etc, and it should be one of the first things to do to your car.

So Herbert did it all wrong then? And I've done it all wrong again? All cars on the roads, then and today, use the body as an earth return. If done properly there is no problem in my experience.
(05-02-2023, 10:57 AM)andrew34ruby Wrote: So Herbert did it all wrong then? And I've done it all wrong again? All cars on the roads, then and today, use the body as an earth return. If done properly there is no problem in my experience.

I'm afraid that he did! It's cheaper to use the body as an earth return than to fit separate wires. Also the modern monocoque body is much easier to use an an earth return than the collection of parts which make up a pre-war body. Bulb-holder / reflector / headlamp body / headlamp bracket & bolt / wing / flitch plate / body / battery cable - what a lovely lot of joints! And their surfaces are either painted or rusty (depending on the state of the car) but neither of which are particularly good conductors. Go on - fit earth return wires and bypass all those interfaces!