The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rocket man...
Looks worthy of Wesley Pegden in "Last of the Summer Wine" !
(13-01-2023, 06:37 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote:
(13-01-2023, 05:55 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I wonder what the DVLA will make of that...

I think the car is in NZ, Mike.

Don't they have even tougher qualifying requirements?
Clearly not!!! Rolleyes
No tailgaters
Pulse jet? I thought they depended on a minimum forward speed to work? The first set of traffic lights should prove interesting.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
No rear dampers. The ride should be interesting, especially beyond 100 m.p.h.

You need Facebook to see the fire-up video. One hopes that the engineering is better than the camera work. To give the builder his due: "The build was on my bucket list to complete before I am 90. I have restored/rebuilt as an amateur almost 100 vehicles since the mid 1950s, including 5 tanks (English, German, French and Russian). This was the first attempt at starting the pulse-jet, about half an hour before the film of the engine running. I was being too cautious with the gas flow and it did not auto-start."

"https://www.facebook.com/1329886206/videos/pcb.3009555892682116/6014766315236816
It needs a catapult to launch it, similar to the V1 system, or alternatively, some solid fuel rocket boosters.   For safety reasons I would recommend some chicken wire around the jet engines!
A pulse-jet shouldn't need any forward air flow. The one I saw was static/stationary.
There was a guy called Barry Bowles who built a hydrogen peroxide jet car for a LSR attempt in the 1970s. He actually held the British record for a while until Richard Noble did it properly. He turned up at the start of the 1978 Chris Gould record attempt. I gave him a drive of my special, which he thought more frightening than his record car.

It’s a ram jet that needs forward velocity. A pulse jet is different- they will work standing still.
Alan Fairless
Hopefully not, but it could feature for a Darwin Award!