The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Floor Boards in Austins?
Talking with old Selwyn this morning, he says 'I can't abide cars with floor-boards'.  Struck me steel floors are one of the unsung features of the Seven's design?
That's nothing. When I were a lad we were grateful for a floor. It were luxury!
My car needed a new floor - a necessity rather than a luxury as the old one had rusty away - but it was an easy enough welding job.

Selwyn didn't say why he abhorred floor boards - but I always imagine them being loose, uneven, rattling, letting in the wet, and rotting away so your boot went through. Having only ever had Sevens, this is only speculation.
I'm sure that many of us will have, in former years, "repaired" a rotted out floor with a flattened Castrol or Duckhams one gallon oil can...I know I have!
(12-01-2023, 02:44 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: ... Selwyn didn't say why he abhorred floor boards - but I always imagine them being loose, uneven, rattling, letting in the wet, and rotting away so your boot went through.  Having only ever had Sevens, this is only speculation.

I've owned several cars with timber floor boards, none have been loose, uneven, rattly, leaky or rotten! Personally I've found them to be an excellent design, enabling easy access to chassis, gearbox, propshaft etc.
Well, the only car I have examined closely that had floor boards was outside the back of hotel in Cornwall, sometime in the 1970s (an Alvis?), and the floor boards were all those things or missing - but, of course, most well-cared-for cars would be different. The steel floor pan in a Seven was a stroke of genius, though?
My Super Sportsman had wooden floorboards, but that’s because I was only earning about ten quid a week at the time...
Which Austins had wooden floors, I wonder - was a Ten metal? A Twelve? Presumably the massive plush cars had them.
My 12/40 P Type Lea Francis had wooden floors that were excellent. Not loose, rattly or rotten and providing good access to the underside of the car. Made removing the gearbox very easy.

Steve
The Cup Model has wooden floorboards.

Very quiet and removable for excellent access, I wish all Sevens had them so.