The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To air clean or not to air clean
Thoughts on air filters - as only export 7s had them. Odd though it may seem, in post-war years many 7s have covered huge mileages - 100,000 + - and not needed a rebore. In the 1920s, many roads were not sealed and dust did lead to premature wear - so perhaps they should have had them from new? Today many people do fit them in the hope that, at a casual 3000 miles a year, the engine will last for the same 300,000 miles as their VW diesel - i.e. 100 years and still be going strong when their great-great-grandchildren have use of it. So, why bother?
I have never seen the need and regularly exceed mileages that the factory suggests major work would be required at…
Never had an air filter on a seven or a ten in all the time I’ve been driving them a lot of miles so don’t intend starting now unless I embark on a Chapmanesque trip through the Andes!
I agree with him.
Alan Fairless
And I agree with all three of them!

Steve
Having seen the effect of no air filter on 8000 BHP engines with piston ring wear resulting in them worn out after 6000 hours instead of 24000 hours I fitted air filters to our cars 5 years ago, during last summer they required cleaning monthly.    
Hi All and I agree with myself. S&P
I think an 8000 hp engine, will shift just a tad more air than a 7 hp one!
6000 hours? At 24mph that equates to about 50 years for me. Oh, and I have four Austins so somewhere around 2223 I’ll need to be building another engine. OK
Alan Fairless
My RP saloon has standard carburation with no filter. I have now covered almost 20K miles in four years of ownership, the total recorded mileage now being (1)13923. Shortly after I bought the car, it developed a knock which turned out to be a little end. Upon examination, the engine had been bored to 20 thou oversize and the bores were all in good condition, merely requiring deglazing before fitting new pistons. After about 10K miles, I had occasion to replace the cylinder head gasket and found the bores still in excellent condition. Not having an air filter therefore does not seem to be a problem, but I am aware that opinions differ and I suspect that the argument will go back and forth without any clear resolution.