The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin 7 dash colour and finish?
Can anyone please advise what the correct finish (crinkle or gloss paint) on an Austin 7 delux early 1932 dash? 
The original colour of the car is recorded as black and Royal Blue. Any help would be much appreciated. 
Many thanks, Jim
Almost certainly gloss.
Agreed - the last crinkle finished car was completed at 4.52pm on Friday 20th June 1930.
The dashboard of my mid-1932 RN Saloon had/has a gloss finish. I’m certain about this because the original paint revealed itself in all its glory when I removed the dashboard patent plate.

It may be of interest to know that my car is ‘Dark Royal Blue’ (not to be confused with your much lighter ‘Royal Blue’). This dark variant is available as a standard Jaguar colour: ‘Westminster Blue JFG/712’. There’s also a SKU code: ‘JAGUAR-JFG/JEU/712’.

Hope this helps.
Andrew Fallon
Netherlands
Thank you all for your very helpful and informative replies . It’s simply wonderful to be able to tap into a well informed group of people who are so wiling to share their knowledge.
Many thanks again,
Jim
My '32 RN has a Black Gloss dash board. The rest of the car is Bordeaux Red and black.
    Here's a photo of an RN saloon showing the colour scheme with the colour being on the top of the bonnet and scuttle and then onto the dash.
I concur with input above, as far as I know the RN dash was painted in body colour (same paint).

I would be grateful if anyone could confirm whether the same was true of de-luxe RP's? (Notwithstanding the debate about black bonnet tops). i.e. body-colour dash with gloss black instrument panel?

And how about the steel interior door cap mouldings (just below the side windows) - gloss black?
To answer the comment about the colour of door cappings - Bryan Purves Austin Seven Source Book p 339 has "The finger plates and metal trims on the doors were wood grained in scumbled Walnut". 

I see no evidence of scumbling on my car but after 90 years and many owners its not surprising. The cappings on mine are black but having the where with all to scumble (we have a scumbled narrowboat) I am contemplating tarting up the door capping with scumble.
As far as I'm aware the de lux RP had the same colour scheme as the RN de lux, as for the door capping I'm not sure but bear in mind I think it was only printed on like that on Hornby trains of the era and could easily wear off.