The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bargain lathe for sale
Another bargain machine tool. A 1912 - 1921 Drummond - but considerably modified by its 40+ year owner to make it much easier and more effective to use. It's all set up and ready to run. Also included is a box of tooling and probably other accessories. The motor is a recent one by Clark. Easy to dismantle and ship in a hatchback. House move is imminent so just £250 or offers. Phone Ted on 01487-840794. Lathe near Epping. ("Friends" have the first chance before its advertised).
Details of these lathes here

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That looks like a bargain. Get in there!
I had one of these (but without all the added extras) for over 20 years until I replaced it with my current Myford 5 years ago. Originally treadle and flywheel operated, it had been converted to electric before I got it. I was led to believe that many were supplied to the British Navy during WW1 for use on war ships and that mine was ex - Navy. I've a catalogue showing the similar Drummond 3 1/2" lathe from 1922 priced at £79 which seems quite a lot for the time.

Steve
(15-12-2022, 08:23 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: ... I've a catalogue showing the similar Drummond 3 1/2" lathe from 1922 priced at £79 which seems quite a lot for the time.

Steve

Half the price of a brand-new Austin Seven!
And probably as many parts !
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
I have had mine for 30 years.  I bought it from a model engineer.  Probably the most useful tool I have.

[Image: thread-restoration-001.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0464.jpg]
Ohhh how I would love a lathe in the garage and learn how to use it properly... I'm just too far away to get over and collect it in a reasonable time frame..

Has me thinking, does anyone know of a good youtube channel to follow showing the basics & tricks on a lathe ?

cheers
Matt
Not at home at the moment but having withdrawal symptoms having a make do workshop with no lathe ,milling machine or welding equipment.and trying to lay the basics out for a special .
If I could have got it home I would have considered that old Drummond as it looks so well sorted.

Could do with that lathe !
That looks like a Talbot rad shell??
Oh to have that much space, with Ruby tight on one side I can just get past Ruby on the other side.
Ventured into the garage today after all the snow and rain had gone to find the newly machined block and head with a rust bloom already and that was with the dehumidifier full on.