The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Bonnet hinges
The methods suggested by others will make a functional hinge but If you can find my post it shows how to make authentic Austin design hinges. Its not hard you just need to make a simple jig which is also shown in my post.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi

I think Simon posted this video on YouTube. Is the method the same as yours Ian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqg4LyBsQQM

Cheers

Howard
This is the way to make the integral side hinges but the central hinge is made in sections using a little jig that would be easy to reproduce. I know Simon made his centre hinge with the jig so he may have a video that covers making them. I will be seeing him tomorrow so will ask if he can put up a link.
Black Art Enthusiast
I never filmed that bit (just the side hinges) unfortunately and the details that used to be on my blog were lost. I don't even have the little jig anymore. It got passed around various people who used it to make theirs. It was one of those things you spend more time making the jig and getting the measurements on that correct than you spend actually making the parts on it once you have it right!

Simon
While looking through my downloaded photos I use for reference I came across  these three pics but I didn't write down any information about them. I would love to know how the forming jig works.
Stephen

Well done Steve those are the pictures I posted ages ago, I thought I would have written a description with the pictures. Basically you calculate the total length of your stainless steel strip, form a 90 degree flange, place that in the jig with the flange facing down. Wrap the long end back around the brass pin, the pictures show the stages of forming. There is a separate part to the jig made from a couple of bit of small angle which acts as a clamp, it can just be seen on the vice jaw. Once you have the P shape formed you invert everything clamp the tag ends together and fold the loose end to match the first fold. Then close both over a suitable thickness former, on our jig the clamping piece also serves this purpose. I think Atho currently has the jig I will see if he can post any clearer pictures of it.
Black Art Enthusiast
I think you did have a written description with the pics Ian, but I  don't know what I did with it as I can't find it in my files at all. Clearer pics would be fantastic. I want to make a jig similar to that.