The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The start of my van's body build
Very ingenious Steve, I have learned something new today!
I know that in the making of craftsman oak furniture (Mouseman and the like) the pieces are 'fumed' in a cabinet with ammonia.  This darkens the oak and gives it that aged look.   I didn't know that ammonia could be used for softening and bending hardwoods.
Sometimes looking at photographs of other A7s  can provide the answer to a question that one has that is not apparent.

I am in the process of working out how much aluminum sheet I will need to cover the body frame. The question I was trying to find the answer to was: is  the surrounding frame to the rear double doors wrapped in sheet alloy? The recessed edge was obviously for the side sheet to be set into, but did the edge of the alloy wrap around the edge? This would make for an uneven overlapping joint which didn't make sense to me.

.jpg   SIDE VIEW OF FRAME MOCK UP.jpg (Size: 94.92 KB / Downloads: 108)

After looking at a lot of rear aspects of AD type vans I found this pic and all was revealed. The doors are wrapped but the wood  frame is painted, which now made sense as the let in edge on the side of the frame would make the allot flush with the wood. The "D" strip would be pinned over the joint to hide it.

Sometimes just looking at pics can be very helpful.
Cheers,
Stephen