The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clunk-clunk turning left
David, I like your reply as to how to stop them unscrewing. A man of few words “Loctite”.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Hi Andrew
I find putting a tack of weld or braising the pin on the back does the trick.
Hope that is useful.
Hi All

I think there are two types of pivot, one screwed in and the other needing to be peened over.  I’ve peened over the screw in type which stops it coming out.

Cheers

Howard
(05-12-2022, 02:15 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

I think there are two types of pivot, one screwed in and the other needing to be peened over.  I’ve peened over the screw in type which stops it coming out.

Cheers

Howard

My front pivots screw in, with the end of the pivot finishing flush, so it can be peined. But the rear pivots are screwed into something thicker, and do not reach right through, so cannot be peined.

When they were screwed in, in the factory, I wonder how they tightened them. I use vice grips, but they do mark the ends of the pivot, and still are not very tight. Maybe it's a good idea to whip the drums off and inspect the brakes, and make sure the pivots are still tight. Maybe every thousand miles?
Howard, how about tightening them using an oil filter strap wrench and adding a touch of Loctite thread lock?
(05-12-2022, 11:13 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Howard, how about tightening them using an oil filter strap wrench and adding a touch of Loctite thread lock?

Hi Ivor

I think this should have been addressed to Andrew?  However I’ve tightened these using aluminium covers on a pair of Molegrips.  

Andrew… if the pivot can’t be peened then Loctite as David and now Ivor suggest is the way to go.  

Cheers

Howard
Sorry Howard, it’s my age you know! I meant Andrew.