The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Garage heating
Hi all

i know this subject has been covered, but i found this interesting review on YouTube.

Food for thought ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyiUpFjwtlU
That’s an interesting piece of kit and a fraction of the cost of running electrical or gas heating. I had an old railway coach heater running on diesel in my old workshop, it took about fifteen minutes to heat the whole shop to 70 degrees!
I'm suitably impressed! I'm in the process of building a workshop at home and will look very hard at one of these...
I think the garage should be either permanently cold or permanently warm, heating a cold garage can end up with all the cold metal items sweating. I once had the job of installing two 8000 bhp engines in the depth of winter and for installing the epoxy grout the temperature had to be at least 60 degrees F so we set two big gas heaters on which id the job but we couldn't grout the engines in because of the condensation literally running off the engines. We had no alternative but to wait for warmer conditions.
An interesting option. All I have in the garage is a butane powered Super-Ser heater, which has a 35Kg bottle in the back. This will be its second winter on the same bottle (shows how little I really need the heat) which costs about 35€ a charge, so roughly 15€ a year.

Whilst the diesel heater is very tempting, it's going to take me a while to recoup the initial outlay...

One thing I have found very useful is a duck-board to stand on when working at the bench. You lose a lot of heat through the feet.
This type of heater is similar in design to the heaters fitted in medium sized passenger vehicles. Before I finally retired in 2005 I drove a community bus and transported the old folks to and from the day centre. That was fitted with a heater of this design. It go very toasti

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
The portable propane (Super Ser type) radiant panel heaters can be effective but also lethal! They give off lots of carbon monoxide and good ventilation is essential to avoid death, or worse still, permanent brain damage.
At present I use a propane space heater for ten minutes or so when it's really cold but try to stay outside while it runs and then go inland turn it of leaving the small door open to clear some of the products of combustion and hope there isn't too much water vapour condensing on the machinery.
The advantage of the diesel one is that the combustion is enclosed and vented to the outside of your shed. The value of insulation can be completely lost if you need a suitable vent and while I'm not suggesting total exclusion from fresh air it seems a waste to add to warming the outside.
I try to work hard enough not to need a heater (said the smug git!).
Hi All

I’ll try not to be smug  Big Grin.

I’ve spent the afternoon replacing a broken spoke.  I heated our attached brick garage with a 2kW electric fan heater.  Expensive?   Sort of BUT….We invested in a Solar panel and battery system last year and whilst we don’t get much return during the winter, we use almost no grid electricity during the summer.  So a bit of electric offsetting is OK by me to avoid noxious gasses and condensation.

Cheers

Howard
I do not have a heater and just wrap up warm, but do use a de-humidifier running for most of the winter months, it is amazing just how much condensation it removes from the atmosphere.
Certainly keeps the condensation at bay.
If you want to know about the cheap (very - even Austin 7 owners can't call them pricey!) diesel heaters this channel explains everything about them very well: https://www.youtube.com/@johnmck1147/videos