The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help required to identify two John Heath Kit parts
After a long hiatus I've resumed my John Heath AD Van body kit build. The floor pan  is now assembled save for a few rivets in the rear of the floor.

The sheet metal floor pan / under pan instructions are very informative and well described. There is a check list on the last page to identify the parts  by assigned number or description. This being said I have four metal parts that I have no idea where they are intended to go.

Two are handed 1/8" thick L shaped "BODY FRAME PLATES"  with what looks like 5/32" diameter countersunk holes in them on one side.

The other two are called part C24 "RISER WASHER PLATE" 3/4" by 4 inches with three 3/16"holes at 1 1/4"centers.

There is no indication of what these do or where they go.

Have any of you built a John Heath kit and can tell me where they go and what they do?

Any help in this regard would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Stephen

The angle of the body frame plates looks similar to the angle of the rear edge of the door - perhaps a strengthening bracket at the base of the door opening?
Thank you Mike for your suggestion. I had another look at the photos that John Heath had sent me and then suddenly on this pic I saw the body frame plate.  Your suggestion prompted me to look closely at the door areas of A7 pics and John's pic suddenly made the plate apparent.

Now if i can only figure out where the Riser Washer Plate goes.

Regards,
Stephen

Stephen, 
    what size are the holes in the riser plate? It could be that it bolts to the body and is used to raise the front of the bodywork up for alignment with the bonnet.
Hi Robert.
The holes are 5/32 " diameter which are the same as all of the holes that were punched in the floor pan parts for rivet assembly with iron round head rivets.
Cheers,
Stephen
Are there any other parts with three corresponding holes? If they aren't countersunk for wood screws, are they for spreading load... how many fixings pass through the windscreen uprights where they bolt onto the sides of the scuttle, for instance?

Also consider what a riser is... or could be? Unless colloquially people call shims or packers "risers" which wouldn’t be helpful, a riser is generally a vertical board on a step or the front panel of a seat perhaps...
Does the riser plate have anything to do with the windscreen?  They look suitable for putting under the scuttle to take the windscreen mounting bolts.
Nick: the only place that these might fit is around or near the rear tunnel area where the body sits at a higher level. The metal is thin 19 gauge (I think) and the hole spacing would have to match existing pre-punched holes in the parts there. My thoughts are that they are packing to bring the levels of two different parts to the same height ...but where ?

Malcolm: they might but there is no reference to these being used for this. I'll keep this in mind though.

I suspect they were to be used in this area of the floor pan but they didn't seem to match any of the hole spacing for the rivets. If they are redundant i don't think they'll affect anything.
Cheers,
Stephen