The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1933 RP saloon AMD724 - still about?
Yesterday, I attended the funeral of an esteemed friend in the Cambridge area. Upon perusing the order of service, I was intrigued to see a picture from many years ago, depicting my friend alongside an Austin 7 that he owned as a young man. I am naturally interested to see if the car is still about.

Well, the good news is that it is on the register, with a comment stating "2013-Sep - Ex BA7C". Likewise, the DVLA record for it is still active. However, the tax status shows as "Not taxed for on road use", which is the sort of thing that can set alarm bells ringing for me, as it ought to be SORNed if it's currently not on the road. Occasionally, when the DVLA record doesn't seem quite right, I've found it's a sign that a vehicle has gone abroad without the DVLA having been notified.

Anyone have knowledge of this Seven? I'd love to know. Many thanks!

Ian
'Not taxed for road use' usually means that the car has not been used on the road since before the SORN regulations came into effect (1998?). It may mean that the car is complete and awaiting a restoration, or it maybe just a surviving log-book that someone has retained on the DVLA system for 'future use'.
A couple of very valid points there, Mike. Thank you!
Hi Ian,

As Mike has eluded to, a vehicle that was neither taxed nor on the road prior to the introduction of SORN on 31st January 1998 cannot be SORN'd - the legislation was not retrospective hence the DVLA Database description of 'Not taxed for on road use' is perfectly correct and legal - only vehicles that were currently taxed on or since 31/01/1998 have to declare SORN when taken off the road. My (under very long term restoration) 1936 Morris 8 Series 1 Tourer (I've owned it for 50 years) hasn't been taxed / on the road since the 1980's - it too is on the DVLA Database as 'Not taxed for on road use' which is how it should be. So it would seem your late friends A7 AMD 724 was last taxed / on the road sometime prior to January 1998.