The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel 'stabilizers' comments please
Hi

The only fuel degradation problem I have experienced was with a small Honda generator used at my place of work. It was stored in a wooden shed which got very hot in the summer, and only used infrequently. This was in the days even before E5, yet the carburettor got choked up with a gummy gel like substance and it had to be (expensively) repaired.

The Briggs "potion" changed formula a while back, and the dosage amount went up considerably so although the price per bottle didn't rise much the price per litre treated shot up.

I am sure our cars will happily run on E0, E5 and E10, but it is the effect of long term storage on fuel which is the issue. The degradation seems to be worst when it is warm. I tend to run on Esso E5 (Supposedly actually E0 at the moment) and keep the tank reasonably full when not using the car in the winter. No problems so far.
I understand that the problem arises if water gets into the tank, this then forms an acid compound with the ethanol and it is this which causes problems. If an effort to keep atmospheric moisture out I modified a tank cap to contain silica gel          only time will tell if it is successful.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

With my Ruby I had a problem in the warm summer months of fuel evaporating from the tank. The garage reeked of petrol. For some time I blamed everything on E5 and E10 petrol only to find the same thing happened with the more expensive non E petrol. The solution was to make two rubber ring washers from an old inner tube and put them on the fuel cap to make an air tight seal.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.