The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
handbrake lever
since the search for the front brake adjuster has become stale, i had another thought. does anybody sell or have a handbrake lever with the adjuster already on it?  then i could just transplant it onto the car. pm me or just comment back here.
To be honest, I didn’t know which part you ended up needing from the last posting.

Some of the parts for an early uncoupled handbrake are re manufactured (pivots, ratchets) and I’m sure somebody made some of the other parts at one time. A whole handbrake will be existing in someones spares pile somewhere but it’s a lot more difficult to ship to the West Coast than simply the adjuster.

Charles
    this is the part I was looking for
Hi Vancevr 

Finding these bits is difficult. I had to make the adjusting screw and quadrant but luckily I had the the brass bit.

The screw thread is, I think from memory 5/16”, and can be made from a long set screw.  I made up the quadrant on the lathe then cut and drilled it. (My turned one on left and an original from my RK on the right). 

.jpeg   FC1E9B67-66F5-479A-AA0D-29B4A39D57CA.jpeg (Size: 110.91 KB / Downloads: 372)

I think the brass part may be more complex but I don’t think dimensions are critical so you or a machinist may be able to fabricate it from a solid piece. 

Cheers

Howard
(25-10-2022, 08:18 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Vancevr 

Finding these bits is difficult. I had to make the adjusting screw and quadrant but luckily I had the the brass bit.

The screw thread is, I think from memory 5/16”, and can be made from a long set screw.  I made up the quadrant on the lathe then cut and drilled it. (My turned one on left and an original from my RK on the right). 

I think the brass part may be more complex but I don’t think dimensions are critical so you or a machinist may be able to fabricate it from a solid piece. 

Cheers

Howard

Agreed Howard. 
Difficult to find but not impossible to manufacture if you have a lathe, hacksaw and decent welding kit. 
The brass part doesn't have to be brass so could be 1/8" steel plate with a threaded portion welded on. The semi-circular part can be made in the round and sliced in half before threading. The problem of being in California is that you can't easily lie under someone else's car and have a look.
My early type handbrake works on the rear brakes through Morris Minor van cables to the hydraulic cylinders, so I don't even have the part to offer to measure
I have a recollection that somebody was making uncoupled handbrake parts in the past, but that may be 20 years ago (the past seems to compress in my head). 
Hopefully someone can help

Charles
Howard. How did you make the reproduction look so perfect. It looks one to one. Would you stack sheet steel and stager it to keep the cable in the line. How about the other part? Is it threaded?
Hi Vancevr 

Thanks for the kind words although my turning skills are self taught and the photo makes it look better than it is  Big Grin.

It is turned from a solid piece of stock steel and if I remember correctly the wire rope channel was cut with an old piece of tool steel ground to shape. The disc produced is then cut slightly off centre and a hole drilled in the flat to accept the end of the set screw.

As Charles says the brass part can be made of any material and welding a couple of nuts onto a piece of 1/8 plate would make a serviceable alternative. Make sure the weld is good! It is your brakes after all!

I’ll try and get under the car later today and measure the quadrant and let you have a rough sketch.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Vancevr 

This photo may help?

The diameter of the visible quadrant is 1 3/4”. and 3/8” thick.  I can’t easily get to the back of the bracket but the smaller boss fits through the hole in the bracket and slides down the slot so I’m sure you can size this when you have the lever bracket off the car.

.jpeg   47C86AC3-6A67-47CC-96BF-01E55A297DD8.jpeg (Size: 130.7 KB / Downloads: 284)

Cherished suppliers sell the hinges at the bottom of the bracket that fix to the cross member. Although you may find that the bracket has worn and needs to be welded up and re-drilled.

The photo shows the brass piece which, as has been stated, can easily be fabricated.

Cheers

Howard
does the brass piece have threads? so, the steel piece only has a "dimple" so that the bolt does not slide around. correct me if im wrong.
The brass piece has thread, there is no dimple.
The steel quadrant is held up against the bolt by the brake cable and you will notice the bolt end is machined to fit a small hole.