The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indictors
Hello People
I am considering converting my original sidelights to use as indicators.
I want to use the 6 volt system.
Some thoughts 
                      Painting higher output bulbs
                      Painting the existing light glass and use clear bulbs
                      Can I purchase a yellow LED ?

Idea’s and thought appreciated 
Regards
              Tim
Hi Tim

Like me you seem to be an early riser!  

I’ve tried all of your proposals and the best is the yellow LEDs.  I believe you can get combined indicator side lights from certain suppliers but that would mean extra wiring and fitting a new bulb holder.

Personally I found painting bulbs and clear lenses not a success. I have converted a pair of Lucas T21 lights by casting new plastic lenses dyed yellow and they are acceptable.

Out of interest where will your sidelights be?

Cheers

Howard
Hi

I use sidelights combined with headlights, which leaves the wing mounted indicator bodies free for use as front indicators. At the rear I have a couple of period indicator bodies mounted on the bumper.

The first version used 6 volt 18 watt "small globe" bulbs, combined with orange "gel" film of the sort sold for theatrical lighting. It was necessary to use 3 or 4 layers of the film to get a deep enough colour. The problem is that bulbs of this type tend to prematurely blacken inside the envelope, and lose light output. I guess this is due to the heat buildup in a small space.

The second version uses orange/yellow 6V LEDs and is far more satisfactory. They are brighter and the flashing effect is "crisper" and more noticeable.

Some electronic flashers get upset if you have unsuppressed plug leads.
You will need an electronic flasher unit to run LED indicators. They are available in both 6v and 12v versions. I bought mine through classic dynamo regulators, along with the orange LED bulbs.
(16-10-2022, 09:21 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: You will need an electronic flasher unit to run LED indicators. They are available in both 6v and 12v versions. I bought mine through classic dynamo regulators, along with the orange LED bulbs.

Classic Dynamo’s do the 6v LED lamps (bulbs) you want. I fitted them to my 1937 Opal side lights. It combines an effective orange indicator with side light function so no need to stick on nasty looking little flashers on an otherwise nice looking car.
This will probably offend quite a lot of people but there you go …………………

Charles
Many thanks Gents for your comprehensive replies.
Howard I usually make tea early and check the Austin web site.
I shall follow John’s lead and use the existing front sidelights as indicators.
The rear will be bumper mounted small black torpedo shaped
For all I will try LE diodes

PS Hoping to retain the semaphores ?
Hi

If you want to use semaphores as well (I do) there are a variety of ways. The most straightforward is to use two separate flashers, one for left and one for right. See Circuit 2 here: http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_a...rcuits.htm

If your flashers don't have a pilot light terminal, you will need to add an LED pilot for left and right i.e. in parallel with each set of LED indicators. If you prefer a single LED, feed it via a pair of diodes so that it functions for either side.
I have just fitted "flashicator" bulbs to my neighbour's car's semaphores.

We are impressed and pleased with the results.

They are much more visible than I was expecting them to be.
Thanks for the diagrams
I was thinking for putting a flasher unit in the live feed before the steering wheel indicator switch ?
(17-10-2022, 01:05 PM)Tiger Wrote: Thanks for the diagrams
I was thinking for putting a flasher unit in the live feed before the steering wheel indicator switch ?

If you do that, and include semaphores, then the semaphores will bob up and down with each flash.