The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heating the workshop
Not even going to think about the costs of the heater the machinetools only run on electricity. I guess if it gets really bad I will have to invest in a nice old stationary engine and a big dynamo.
When I lived in Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, I had a neighbour who was into vintage motorbikes, All the machine tool in his workshop ran off a horizontal gas engine, with shafts and fast and loose pulleys everywhere.
Last weekend I was in Stuttgart visiting my son and his family. Just across the road from where they live in Bad Cannstatt is a park which contains the actual workshop where Gottlieb Daimler did his inventing. The workbench and its machine tools are on display and it features a foot treadle operated lathe. I bet that would keep you warm on a crispy winter's day!

It was fascinating to have been so close to where it all began.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Lovely treadle lathe there! My workshop is well insulated fortunately. In the depths of winter I use a quick blast from a Propane fan-driven space heater the take the edge off and warm clothing, rubber mats to stand on with "airwear"
Dr. Martens boots. The water vapour from the heater is a pain as it condenses on cold metal surfaces and ...
Years ago we had an old order Amish fellow make us a table - likewise all belt driven tools from a diesel engine. None of those guys had a full set of fingers.

In terms of shop heat I have two little 1500W space heaters - one at my legs, one at my torso and my coveralls takes the edge off all but the worst Canadian cold.
I suspect my more modern tools run of a horizontal gas engine. Our local power plant is biomas and I have been in for a look at the turbines. They have recently started using the low grade heat that is not easy to reover to heat a massive green house. Now the largest cucumber factory farm in the uk
I feel that I’m a bit spoilt. I have a fully insulated garage with a wood burner fitted. It’s T shirt temperature all year round ?
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Thanks for the wide ranging replies to my initial post.

I was quite surprised that bearing in mind the eye-watering taxation on E10 petrol, it was still half the price of on-peak electricity as a source of heat.

I guess red diesel or bulk-bought kerosene (i.e. not at inflated garden centre prices) would be even cheaper as fuel. But the means of turning it in to heat is a difficult choice. A portable/space heater style might be OK for a large draughty building where you aren't worried about Carbon Monoxide or the Water Vapour produced turning your tools rusty. Remember those Ironmonger's shops with the whiff of paraffin and the steamed up windows ? For a smaller garage/workshop one would be better off with a motorhome style unit with a proper flue, but these are much more expensive to buy

I have plenty of wood, but a wood burner is a faff if you are only out in the shop for an hour or so.

I will probably carry on just dressing up like a Michelin man !
Hi All

Of course the other alternative is move into the warmth of the house  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin.

I’m sure we all have sympathetic wives partners etc!  What’s the problem with engine building in the kitchen!

In jest

Howard
I have had an engine in the colder reception room since lockdown... oops. It does tend to get used as a shed currently.

On energy subject, what is the recommendation for light in a workshop with no electricity. I have an oil lamp, and I imagine LED rechargeable things are pretty good but have a purchase cost. What is efficient? Thinking room lighting rather than directable, which can be done with the garage LED car LiOn light I've already got.