The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heating the workshop
Hi Ivor, I made an axle locking tool for next to nothing, cut a section of 5-ply approx. 24" x 20", drill a 3" hole to accept the hub nut 6" from the top edge and drill three holes to align with the wheel studs. With road wheel removed position the 5-ply over the studs, secure with wheel nuts and lower jack carefully until 5-ply just reaches the floor. You are now ready to tighten away...

Russlin
Never underestimate how much heat is lost through head and soles of feet - a wooly hat and good footwear make a world of difference to staying comfortable in the workshop.
I decided that insulation was key. The garage had no ceiling; the joists were open to the loft. I've put in a plasterboard ceiling and insulation above, makes it much more snug.

I have a 3kW electric fan heater pointed at the vice and a bottle gas heater, but that does create a lot of condensation. 13kg of Propane was £41 from Calor this summer but FloGas may be cheaper.
I am with David Stepney. My garage is so well ventilated (Drafts under the doors) that it is a waste of time heating it. I just rely on warm clothes in layers. If exceptionally cold I stay in the house. A word of warning to those who use bottled gas heaters. The room has to be well ventilated as when they burn they give off carbon monoxide. In my past life I dealt with two deaths caused by this problem.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
A duckboard or even some old cardboard on the floor in front of the bench does help to avoid cold feet. I agree that gas heaters need adequate ventilation - I usually leave one of the "up & over" doors slightly ajar if I have the SuperSer running. I have also put plasterboard under the roof joists, but mainly to stop dust rather than insulation. Parazine's post has made me remember to put something over the attic access hole for winter... (another job for the list)
Thanks Russlin, but I have already welded up the scrap brake drum and following ten minutes welding the garage was nice and warm!

When I built the workshop end of the garage, I made sure I put on some large windows and on a day like today, the sun coming in certainly takes the chill off. I too plasterboard the ceiling and put insulation over the top, I’m sure it has helped...
Radiant heaters above a workbench can be the answer. They heat the surfaces (tools and components) rather than the air. It doesn’t seem so cold when you have warm spanner’s and warm car parts.

Obviously not so good for working on a car unless you have a really big radiant heater.
My favourite bits of clothing for winter pottering are a quilted lumber jacket, a wooly beany hat, rigger boots and thick socks. I prefer a pair of dungarees to a boiler suit. Latex coated builder's gloves are good for all but the fine stuff.
i find that a yak skin coat is ideal, but don’t wear it if you are welding....
Reckless Sir, do you have proper winters/cold weather in your part of the world ?

From sunny Suffolk !