The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel consumption
I was driving my seven and when I got almost home i ran out of gas. I calculated it and my trip for the day was a little shy of 17 miles. When I started I had exactly a gallon on my stick. Ive heard that sevens get sometimes like 45 mpg. Is this true. Obviously the elavation takes a toll but what else could effect it?
I also ran out of petrol in the seven today. Many things can affect the miles per gallon. The marking on your stick is not likely to be accurate and will be affected if you are on a slight slope. Also hills have an effect on the miles per gallon, any increased elevation using more petrol. Also there is the traffic. Lots of stop/start driving will use more petrol.
On the 2009 Side to Side run from Lowestoft to Land End my Ruby returned 45mpg.
Hi

Are you working in US mpg or UK mpg (a factor of 1.2 difference).  That makes your 17 around 20 mpg in UK currency.

Cheers

Howard
Around 45 on a normally aspirated engine,25 blown but more fun.
None of my three sevens has a usable fuel gauge - the Special has none, the Opal and the van have wildly innacurate installations.

I work on an average consumption of 40 mpg and carry a spare gallon in each.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
1932 RN saloon - 35 mpg (UK) with the Zenith FZ 22B carburettor is about right for me. I use 98 E10 fuel as it seems less prone to vaporisation when its +35 degrees C.
Bob
I would never venture out with so little fuel in the tank, unless I was carrying a reserve gallon elsewhere in the car. There is no guarantee that the fuel pick up pipe is at exactly the same level as the bottom of your stick, so you're probably getting a false reading. A better gauge of consumption is to measure the fuel level, go for a calculated distance and then see how much you have to put in to replace that used.
On my run to Santiago my RP averaged 44.43mpg (imperial) over a total distance of 2200 miles. That included crossing the Pyrenees twice.
I also always carry a spare gallon and to also be aware Vancevr if you have just half a gallon sloshing backward and forwards in your tank it is possible that it will let air in the fuel line anyway.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Cruising at 50 mph I get 50 mpg (imperial) around town 35 mpg whilst on Malcolm Parker's Pennine run 25 mpg on a standard RN saloon with a 22FZB carburetor.