The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Anyone Else Watching out for Grids and Potholes?
Last evening, quietly minding my own business at about 40mph on the local A57, I was suddenly subjected to three heavy shocks/bumps on the nearside wheels - one after the other - bang bang bang.  This threw the car to the left and I had to correct the steering as I was heading for the kerb.  

Later, on the way back home, I had a look to see what I had hit.  It turned out that recent work had left three access grids, spaced a few feet apart, lower than the general road level - a recent poor repair job.  Now I know the hazard is there, I can avoid it.  But it has made me watch the tarmac ahead more carefully - even on roads I know well.  (Fortunately, no loose spokes this time.)

Meanwhile, on a local lane, the same Council have kindly been along and white-circled all the many potholes (prior to eventual repair) which helps with making it to the other end in one piece.  It is similar to playing on a pinball machine, except the idea is try not to score any points?

If my Ruby reacted like that at 40, how did Bert Hadley manage to keep his on the road at 80 - all the way up to Scotland?
It's a problem around here too. A pair of motorcyclists have been hospitalised after hitting a couple of these bad boys  And even in New Plymouth itself where we live its not much better, one of the suburban routes into the city centre is reminiscent of an asphalted WW1 no man's land.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-n...is-booming

***pro tip: engage Ad Blocker before viewing, the Daily News/Stuff website is infested with clickbait adverts ***

*Waka Kotahi = NZ Transport Agency (responsible-amongst other things- for roading that is designated a state highway, in this case SH3)
Are pot holes the cause of the new Highway Code encouraging cyclists to use the centre of their lane ?
Pot holes have been the bane of motoring life around here for at least 30 years! From verge erosion into falling off the edge of the metalled surface to repair of same and ending up with gully grids 600 mm from the verge! I hit one of the "overnight frost Special Appearance" ones early in the Spring and was glad I was in the Pembleton rather than an Austin (or BSA) as it would have seen off something expensive!
NYCC has a well deserved reputation for its lack of attention to country roads and lanes, perhaps because we have a lot... however, I did notice how fine and smooth even the smallest "D" roads in France are and, although you can see repairs have been carried out, the surface is like ironed linen! You even get superelevation! A stark contrast to the SW section of the M25 where you have to drive what seems like forever on a concrete/expansion jointed reminiscent of Belgium the 1960s...
And missing drain grids      the local authorities are now fitting plastic ones to deter scrap metal thieves.
That's a Killer.
I can't understand how these sort of things and bronze sculpture even war memorial name plaques can be weighed in and no thinks its odd.
Let’s face the real problem. There is not enough money in the kitty to provide for all the commitments of the local authorities in the UK so something has to give and one of the things are roads. Nobody likes higher taxation but all this has to be paid for. It would appear that the new PM is not going to increase taxes (well not direct taxation.) So I see no improvement in roads for some time to come. Having said all this I agree the roads are in a poor state however we need to be careful about compliant when in our sevens when the majority of us pay no Vehicle Excise Duty.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I am not sure what standard is supposed to be achieved by those reinstating road surfaces after digging a hole, but that area with those three sunken grids probably doesn't meet it?  However, the point is that when driving Sevens, extra care might be needed, even on familiar roads, especially when travelling at speed (40+).

With regard to the pot-holed lane - the part within Warrington's boundary was properly fixed a few years ago, the part in St Helens now needs its third intervention in six years to repair potholes - there appear to be different approaches taken by adjacent Councils?  (The poor repair mentioned above is also on the St Helens side.)
Steven Sweeney. Cos most of them are bent.