The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could this be a first?
The Mem'Sahib and I have just got back home after a 200 miles round trip to celebrate the unofficial France Austin Seven Centenary Rally, which was going have a total entry of 2, but unfortunately Bob 46320 had to drop out. Whatever, (and Karen is much better I hear) anyway we had a very nice overnight stop in St Geniez d'Olt in the Aveyron and then made our way back home via Florac in the Lozère.

Leaving Florac on the N106, travelling West-East one has to climb over the Col de Jalcreste, which tops out at 832 metres, or 2729 feet. The climb is fairly gentle and I was surprised that The RP managed to get all the way to the top in 4th gear. She was romping along at 40mph most of the way apart from the last couple of hundred metres where she started to flag a bit, but she went over the top, in top.

Anyone else ever got to 832 metres above sea level in top gear in a Seven? To put it in perspective that's higher than the Tan Hill Inn in the Pennines, or the top of Ingleborough (by 110 metres)

Two up, with luggage too!:

[Image: 20220908-113430.jpg]

OK it's a bit of a cheat because Florac is already at 500 metres or so, which makes the climb to the top of the col a mere 330 metres, but I've never ever got to the top of a hill like this in top gear before, not in a Seven.

Question is, is it a record?
I don't know about records, but it sounds pretty good! A group of Sevens (and one 12) just spent a very pleasant three days at the Fat Lamb at Ravenstonedale and were at the Tan Hill pub on Tuesday, but decided not to stop as the carpark was stiff with BMWs. I am fairly sure none of us got there in top, so there's no challenge from this end if you want to award yourself "un insigne d'honneur", crack on!
Hi Bruce

Quite a feat!  The nearest I’ve come to it is returning from Prescott to Moreton in July when the Brookfields crested “Fish Hill” without dropping down from top.

Cheers

Howard
Here's a link to the gradient profiles of both sides of the col. The Florac side is a pretty gentle climb compared to some I've done.

https://www.cyclingcols.com/col/Jalcreste
Yes, missed that one with you Bruce, but at least the 7 is all ready for Angouleme 0n the 17/18th where there hopefully should be a few classic Austins and of course the Austin racers for the Rally des Ramparts.

Last year, we did climb Puy Mary at 1589 meters (in second) but did manage top gear for about 500 meters. Certainly made the ears ring a bit.

Yes we will be at Angouleme as well, assuming I can put the car back together and cope with our local village festival this weekend.

Is anyone here down to do the Rallye des Clubs on the Saturday? The (picnic) lunch stop is in Chabanais and as our local club is organising parking in the town it would be good to welcome some Sevens.

All the best
Tony
Hi Tony, we will be travelling up from SW France on the Saturday and miss the run, but hope to see you on the Sunday. Have you booked a parking space in town for Sunday with Ian Wilson?
Yes parking all reserved, hopefully. All I need now is a car that is working! 

The rally should be a spectacle, with somewhere around 200 cars plus those who follow the route but are not entered, Chabanais is liable to be swamped!
Hi Tony, You may be en route by now??  Reserved Sunday parking in town has been promised for 15 classic A7s however there are no details as of yet. I am going to be really pissed off if turned away on the Sunday morning -  but lets keep a positive mind on this at the moment.
Bob
Bob, can you take a photo of the Sevens on display, please. I'm curious as to what they might be. Apart from our two saloons and a PD tourer that lives in Clermont Ferrand and a Nippy on the cote d'azur I am not aware of any other non- specials in France, but am more than happy to be proved wrong.

Enjoy the weekend.