The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - September 2022
A summer's day in Lynton, North Devon, in 1946; submitted by Jeff Taylor.

A fine selection of British cars from the late 1930s, the Sixlite Big Seven is obviously our focus, but also in the scene is a 1937 Morris 10/4, a 1938 Ford Eight (7Y?) and a 1938 Austin Fourteen Goodwood. The Phantom 2 Rolls Royce is rather older, perhaps circa 1932; in the distance is what looks like a Leyland Tiger half-cab coach.
DYB302 might be a 'Twelve' Mike, I cant make out the expected 'Six' under the 'Austin' script on the grille?
Unless your Motor Registration data base says differently of course
You may well be right; I hesitated as to whether to describe it as a Twelve or a Fourteen, but agree the latter should have a Six script on the grille.
Another marvellous picture Mike, according to the DVLA the Austin 12 doesn’t appear to have survived sadly neither has the Rolls Royce, which is quite surprising, unless it was repurposed during the war as a fire engine or ambulance.

The Big Seven six light has to belong to the vicar...
The photo dates from 1946, so the Rolls Royce has survived the war. I expect it succumbed during the late 1950s when a pair of well-used second-hand tyres would cost more than the value of the car. Of course, it's also quite possible that it has survived with another registration number.
Super picture. 1946, the year that the husbands and dads came home, or the lucky ones did. Before the war my dad was driving a delivery van, a 1925 Bullnose Morris. Then he married in 1938 and was a voluntary driver, driving a Merryweather Fire Engine dealing with incendiary bombs all around West Hartlepool. Aged 30 he thought he was too old to be called up, but no he had to go to war. He'd only been married a couple of years but was away for maybe five years. 1946 he came home to his wife and three small children, but no job. The family left Hartlepool and he found a job sixty miles south. With little money and no car he bought a house two miles from work and travelled to work on a push bike six days a week. It was another twelve years of cycling to work before he bought a motorbike, and then the luxury of an old Austin A30.
Thankfully, little changed today.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-09-2022, 08:17 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote:  a 1938 Ford Eight (7Y?) 

Indeed it is, the de-luxe version with spare wheel cover. Made from 1937 - 39, after which the 7Y was replaced with the E04A Anglia as the two door 8hp offering.

The standard version (the "Popular") had no wheel cover and a simpler dashboard.