The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austins on Angel Bank
Angel Bank, climbing up Clee Hill had a brief period used as a hillclimb between 1921 and speed events on public roads being banned in 1925. There were a surprising number of events  organised by a number of clubs, and the Eastern flank of the Hill, Hopton Bank, was also used. In truly dreadful weather on 1st July 1922, Arthur Waite took FTD with the works Austin 20. The final event on 19th May 1924 saw Dudley Beck and Raymond Mays taking part in Sevens. Mays also entered his Bugatti. Tim Nicholson and Canning Brown both mention these entries, Beatrice Canning Brown suggesting that Beck's car at Angel Bank and other venues in 1924 was a works lightweight special. I have yet to find other references or pictures, perhaps one of the distinguished historians who occasionally look at the forum might be able to help. Austin Sevens will ascend Angel Bank on Saturday 1st October but no works cars yet entered on the tour.
It is likely Dudley Beck was driving a Gordon England Brooklands, registration MB 5088; here he is seen at Shelsley Walsh in 1924, and his entry at Holme Moss in September 1924. Illustrations supplied by David Howe:

.jpg   Austin Seven Brooklands Shelsley Walsh 1924 Dudley Beck (003).jpg (Size: 106.71 KB / Downloads: 166)

After a day in the workshop with a Seven, what could be better than tottering into the study to find out more about Sevens! Mike thank you for that info, and the picture of Beck at Shelsley. Canning Brown does not mention the Austin entries at Holme Moss. I see you attribute the Shelsley photo to David Howe. I have just gone back to Austin Harris/LAT archive, and whilst David Ince is pictured and titled, it requires trawling through 1924 to find the image of Dudley Beck on the hill. Was Beck based in Manchester, or somewhere in the North of England? He had a busy year's competition in 1924, Llangar, Angel Bank, Shelsley, Colwyn Bay, Madresfield, Holme Moss and a number of appearances on Southport Sands. He makes no appearance in Boddy's History of Brooklands.
A good job the car M B 5088 was going up hill with his starting handle in the 6 o’clock position other wise he would no doubt have had an oil leak. Although I doubt the loss of a little oil was high on the drivers worry list.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.