The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Tank
I’m on my second fuel tank trying to repair to make leak free
While cleaning the latest I can see what looks like a gauze filter at the fuel pick up and above the drain.
The first one didn’t have this
Is this normally fitted ?
It is damaged and I’m going to have to remove it but there is no access
there is - in theory - a fixed fuel filter mesh in the tank. I believe that most have had a screwdriver through them at least - certainly needs perforating if you're going to slosh the tank. First thing I did with my ruby was buy a new alu tank...
Seems like a poor design to have an inaccessible item that is bound to need maintenance
In any event I’m not going to give up on this one yet
I need to clean the tank so has anyone any suggestions on products ?
I have seen on line weak acid solutions
Any experience of this ?
I had a tank with a rotting historic slosh liner so it would have taken horrid chemicals and the fabled cement mixer treatment to fix.

There are a good number of threads here on it, essentially you need a good cleaner, then rust remover then coating. Good luck coating without blocking the filter
We used a hand full of Galv nails and shook it about with some old petrol in it, came up well.
You can buy special chemicals that will clean it to like new but last time I checked it was very expensive £200+ for 25L! so only really any use if doing a lot.
All welded up ,two patches
Cleaning tank with a handful of nuts and another hole appears !
Time for a new tank…
Any thoughts on type / suppliers
Compbrake will make up a tank to match your old one if yours does not match one of these https://www.compbrake.com/product-catego...-7-austin/
Its not cheap but well made and they are very helpfulon the phone.

I was very happy with mine till I noticed that they forgot to put a drain hole in the bottom. Minor nuisance only.
I bought mine from a supplier on eBay. It's powder coated aluminium and identical to the ruby one it replaced. It came with a sender fitted, drain hole and fuel line etc all in the right places so all I had to do was drill 4 holes in the brackets for mounting and then the awful job of fitting the rubber filler hose. There are tanks for other models available.
Who was the supplier ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124819408680?...R-jy86nWYA

you can make an offer on the price...