The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic brake conversion backplate
Dennis the brake shoe hold down kit is for a Ford Anglia 105E its a long time since I fitted the Hydraulic brake set the pins are 40mm from under the head to the end
of the pin. There are sets of 4 on ebay but you need to check the pin length as I think the 1200 pins were longer than the 997 model, and use Silicone brake fluid
as the brake w/cyls are prone to rusting my fluid has been in for 10yrs with no problems.

Terry.
Some photos of current state

Trial assembly.  It can be seen that the larger spring on the left may just be able to go behind shoes and fit inbetween raised flange side and the pivot block. But the right double ended would not go behind shoes.
attachment=3641

This shows how much the top shoe is pulled out from the back plate even with the behive spring attached.  The bottom shoe not so bad.

close up shows that if the side of the raised mounting flange was moved towards centre (there is about 3mm space between axle mounting flange edge and side wall of the raised back plate flange) The double ended spring might be able to fit behind shoes though it would probably just touch side wall.

Close up of larger spring shows that, again, with flange side moved in towards centre by about 3mm the spring would sit between shoes and back-plate.

must give up on more pictures as it seems to take an age to get a photo attachment attached. (around 20 mins per photo!!)

Still not sure the top shoe is the right way round.
As it is all beautifully painted up and mounted I do not really want to go hacking the back-plate around only to fail to achieve the goal of both springs between shoes and backplate.

Dennis

(27-08-2018, 09:04 PM)Terrytuned Wrote: Dennis the brake shoe hold down kit is for a Ford Anglia 105E its a long time since I fitted the Hydraulic brake set the pins are 40mm from under the head to the end
       of the pin. There are sets of 4 on ebay but you need to check the pin length as I think the 1200 pins were longer than the 997 model, and use Silicone brake fluid
       as the brake w/cyls are prone to rusting my fluid has been in for 10yrs with no problems.

Terry.
Thanks Terry...I will search Anglia brake shoes......probably 1200 were wider than the possible 1.25 inch of the 997.
STOP PRESS
I Have just spoken to ESM Morris Minors workshop and they confirm that both rear shoes should be fitted with the ends with 2 holes at the pivot block.  So my first photo shows them wrong.
First photo showing wrong shoe positioning now removed  I will take another with all correct way round.

Dennis

PS thanks Terry for PM will email you.
Looks like mine are the wrong way round as well!.Away at the moment will check whenI get back
Ian
(28-08-2018, 05:01 PM)Viteran Wrote: Looks like mine are the wrong way round as well!.Away at the moment will check whenI get back
Ian

Much checking now!...what about the fronts.....
I've never used hydraulics but a few years ago, with a load of spares, I ended up with a complete set of Super Accessories hydraulics, new and unused together with some used hydraulic bits. I sold them for very good money on ebay but looking through my photos I find I have a shot of the assembled front and rear backplates as they came to me and also one of the front sheet of the original Super Accessories fitting instruction. Regretfully I don't have a shot of the rest of the instructions! See below if it's of any help. 

Steve
I think you might have the back plates,or cylinders the wrong way round.I thought the cylinder should be the other way up. I can't find a picture on google of a morris minor set up.
You could be correct, I did wonder if the bleed screw should ( logically) at the top so air would be expelled more effectively but then The handbrake cables would also be above the back axle which seemed odd, but I suspect it could be correct for a hydraulic conversion and may explain my problems with the master cylinder if I am not bleeding effectively. When back home and under the Austin again I will investigate further. Hopefully someone on the forum with a Morris minor hydraulic. Conversion can give a definitive answer
Ian
My recollection of these is that you can put the rear back plates on the wrong side which puts the bleed screw in the wrong place. Ditto for the fronts which gives twin trailing shoes, which some deliberately did in the 60's. There's more pictures for how things go together on the (dying) Speedex site. Dennis's picture shows the adjusting screw outwards that needs a hole in the drum, the steel fabricated ones I've seen have a hole in the back plate and the adjuster has to be assembled the wrong way round - but make sure they all adjust in the same direction otherwise you'll get confused! The hard parts of the conversion are a solidly mounted master cylinder/pedal and an effective handbrake lever that looks the part. Make sure the kunifer pipework avoids being flexed.

Dave

Haynes Morris 1000 restoration book... I cant see why it would make much difference which way up though as long as the nipple in the banjo bolt faced upwards?