The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic brake conversion backplate
I can lock the wheels on my semi grilling cable brakes with no problem, I can also make the car pull up in a straight line, hydraulic brakes give you no greater braking force unless you go twin leading shoe, but that is possible with cable too. When you have to brake from flat out (90mph) for a hairpin and find you are locking wheels with cable semi girlings I am not sire you can argue that they are not effective, the weight of the car and amount of rubber on the road is the limiting factor IMHO. I would agree that I have to apply more pressure to the brake pedal than I would with hydraulics but that is all part of the fun of an old car is it not!
Black Art Enthusiast
(06-02-2018, 01:56 PM)Viteran Wrote: Hi
My 37 Ruby has a hydraulic brake conversion with Morris minor parts, although the back plates have been welded as part of the60’s conversion.
John Barlow ( Nottingham) had them listed (POA) in August2016

Hi
My 37 Ruby has a hydraulic brake conversion with Morris minor parts, although the back plates have been welded as part of the60’s conversion.
John Barlow ( Nottingham) had them listed (POA) in August2016

I understand that Mini back plates have also been "grafted" on. I have a new Mini rear drum and backplate in my workshop and will drag it out to take a look.

Of course it is then a question of where and how to fit a master cylinder, but it has been done before clearly. Just a question of time I suppose.

I asked Tony Betts recently, but I understand that he hasn't had a batch made of late.

Arthur
Tony in principle would restock these front brake backplates ,but since 10 sets minimum commission he would need 6 sets pre ordered before committing . It involves ordering castings , machining then heat treatment so costs for this would mean the current prices aren’t feasible. Was wondering what interest exists .
We fabricate a modern version of the old Bowdenex conversion system with the Girling brakes, we simply copied the old Bowdenex that was on our "65", but using modern cables. We make the fittings etc by turning them on the lathe and then hand filing others. You can see the cables in the Supercharged single seater thread.

It's been so effective that when we set out to build the new car, Dad asked if I wanted to use the hydraulic backing plates that came with the pile of Ulsteroid bits we bought, but I preferred to go with the Bowdenex type.

I thus have a pair of steel backing plates with a modern hydraulic cylinder fitted to them via a cut-n-bolt method - these are definitely superfluous to requirements. The cylinders are small generic rear brake jobs, Nissan or Opel or similar and are brand new. This system is set up to retain the leading & trailing shoe design. I can take pictures of these if anyone would like to see them ?

Cheers
Greig
Yes please photos appreciated I would be keen to look at any options presently

“Hi having read about attaching photos I thought I would have a go with pictures of th hydraulic back plate conversion on my 37 Ruby which may interest you.The conversion was done in the 60’s with Morris minor components .The back axle is off at the moment while I replace a half shaft and wait for warmer weather before venturing out to the garage for any time to put it back on.
As you can see it is what I assume is a Morris minor backplate welded to the A7 central attachment, the brakes are Lockheed.
(09-02-2018, 06:56 PM)Mgibson Wrote: Yes please photos appreciated I would be keen to look at any options presently

Don't know what your skills are but I think you could adapt Mini back plates,(Would have to recess as MM) Rear ones have handbrake which pulls the same way as 7.They are available for around £100 pair complete new.
The backplates you show are similar to the ones I have but I see the recess is deeper which would give the drum and stud clearances I need. I hope that 6 enthusiasts can pre order the aluminium sets from Tony , if not by end of year I will maybe modify mine.
Here's a picture of my modified (late Ruby) front back plates - it uses early Morris Minor brake cylinders; its the twin leading shoe set-up -  Bill Williams Specials book also makes a reference to hydraulic brake conversion (pages c77 & 108/109);

It’s a very pretty car Snoots - love it!